Hi All

Hi my name is Mike. I have just signed up to the forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have Been watching a lot of the videos online. Absolutely amazing.

I just love mechanical watches. And I am now getting seriously interested in knowing more on how they actually work. 

Regards

Mike

Hello and welcome from me at present on holiday in LA

This is a good place to get started as there is a wealth of experience and knowledge at your disposal. Also the members are not without a sense of humour (or I would have been chucked out ages ago). I am a hobbyist tinkerer and have gained a lot from membership.

In brief a lot of us start out by getting a simple old very inexpensive working watch from a well known auction site, I would suggest a wind up one, not automatic, without a date or any other complications and basically take it apart and clean the bits in lighter fluid with a soft brush allow to dry and oil as necessary and put it back together.

I don't know what tools you have or how to oil look it up in the forums, you will need some and some cheap all purpose watch oil for this exercise - start buying the expensive stuff when you are hooked and you have a decent watch to do. Take photos before and after you take each bit apart and refer to them to reassemble it. If you get stuck try a trace in the forum and if that does not work post a query. This advice is only for starting off and it gets a tad more complicated and expensive as you move along.

Best of luck,

Vic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome from Miami, Mike, I'm also on a perennial vacation where I live, work and well...vacation all at the same time...in addition to take a break once in a while from this forsaken vacation place by fixing watches! :)

Cheers,

Bob