How to Open a Breitling Top Time 2000 Case

Interesting post and can hardly wait to find out how to remove the movement . The attached link suggests that you have to remove the hands to remove the movement ???? That would suggest  friction fit dial feet on the dial ,.... just sayin'...

Maybe the tachy ring is friction fit ???? Maybe the little indent at 3 o'clock next to the subdial is the key ,...to press and turn the movement . 

As you can tell , I honestly don't know .....just trying to think out of the box .

Wake Mark up and ask him ..

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59691

Edited by ricardopalamino

@Cad101 I cannot see how a tool could fit under the case ring, as I can only just get the corner of a sheet of paper under it!  As such, I have to surmise that the chapter ring is only removable with the movement out of the case.

@ricardopalamino, that link does not work, "the requested topic does not exist". I have discussed with Mark and he cannot recall seeing this type of case/back/movement, so for now I am stuck.

So after reading umpteen million breitlng posts on other forum groups this seems to be a movement holding ring and is removable although I couldn't find anyone posts on how to remove it all people seemed to say is that it wasn't breitlings best idea they had had for holding a movement inside a case. Also this ring is very hard to find so is the taccy ring so if your going to have a go atvremoving them BE CAREFUL also it seems your crystal should have a tension ring the crystal and thin ring are used to hold the movement in place together.

• Like 1

Well @Cad101, you were spot on!  The thin silver ring exposed when the crystal was removed does indeed hold the movement/dial/tachy ring assembly in the case.  So careful levering of the ring (protecting the edge of the tachy dial) - starting opposite the stem and moving slowly round - got it out, and then the whole movement and dial assembly just pops out easily - probably didn't need to pull the stem apart beforehand, as it would most likely have just slid apart as the movement was eased out.

13_2.jpg

I was quite surprised that there are no alignment pins on the back of the tachy ring, so when it all goes back in I will have to ensure that everything lines up as it should.

14_2.jpg

And here is the inside of the case with the stainless steel back part still pressed in:

16_2.jpg

Thanks also to Richard Askham at http://thewatchspotblog.com/ who also came up with the same solution.

Steve

Glad to be of help that's what we are all here for. You can now get on with your service / repair I'm looking forward to seeing this watch up and running and back to its best.

Mick

9 minutes ago, Bungle said:

The thin silver ring exposed when the crystal was removed does indeed hold the movement/dial/tachy ring assembly in the case.  So careful levering of the ring (protecting the edge of the tachy dial) - starting opposite the stem and moving slowly round - got it out, and then the whole movement and dial assembly just pops out easily

To be fair that's basically what I had suggest before

Is it possible that the ring around the dial is screwed or slotted into the case?

Even if it's just slightly fitted, still had to be rotated to ease it out.

@jdm, yes you are right, despite my best efforts to misunderstand! To be honest there are no wrong suggestions in response to my original question, as working through each one in turn led to the solution.

So credit is due to all who have taken the time to respond.

Hopefully I can have this watch refurbished to a standard worthy of its name.  I will post pictures as and when they become available.

Thanks again all.

Steve

Whew !! I can relax now . ....All kidding aside I am pleased you were able to figure out the puzzle and am looking forward to your progress with this beauty .  I was wondering if you have had any correspondence with The Watch Guy To see if he can offer any advice or Info to working on this watch ?

Good Luck , Louis

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so the case has been off with http://www.watchcaseworks.co.uk to have its much needed restoration, and now that it is back it looks stunning. I have uploaded some pictures so you can see what I mean. Even areas where the dreaded metal adjustable bracelet had ground its way into the case metal inside the lugs has been repaired.

Now just to re-assemble everything and then get the movement looked over and serviced.

Getting there!

Steve

DSCF0162a_2.JPG

DSCF0164a_2.JPG

DSCF0165_2.JPG

DSCF0167_2.JPG

Top Time 2000 Case After Refurb_1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The stem is a split stem so can be removed by pulling straight out. Then remove the plexi glass using a claw tool. The steel ring sitting around edge of case on dial/ tachometer zone is just a push fit into the case and can be gently teased out then the movement can be tipped out of the case. Be careful the ring can be tight and needs to be prized out very gently, don't use screwdriver etc as don't want to mark dial. I use peg wood sharpened to sharp chisel shape. If the glass will not come out with claw it can be blown out with compressed air through winding aperture once crown is removed

Hope this helps if you havnt already done it

• 1 year later...

OK, So I have had the movement serviced and reassembled by Richard (http://thewatchspotblog.com") and it now looks fantastic.

@WatchDoc I have no intention of selling it just yet! I think I will enjoy it for some time before that ever happens! I have also fitted a new Hirsch black Crocodile strap with gold-plated buckle. I wonder what would have been fitted originally?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I hope you like the end result as much as I do.

SH-Breitling-1.jpg

SH-Breitling-2.jpg

• Like 1