12 hours ago, ro63rto said:

These come up every few months in Lidl. I got mine for £12.99
Multiple Kelvin settings to suit and plenty bright enough.

fvcn1cM.jpg

That looks far better than the one I have. I don’t think mine goes up to 6500K. Mine makes no difference at all when I have the bench lamp on, not even worth switching on. It’s few years old now and the bench light is fairly new.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the type of thing I had. No reflection,shadow or heat. I worked on a green background on top of glass.   

I've been playing with different LEDs to make a cheap DIY bench light. I got 5 .5m rigid LED strips for about $13. 180 5630 SMD LEDs in total produce a more than adequate amount of light. It beats the

Hi Mike    As Poljot remarked there are a lot of choices and many will do the job so in the end its down to personal choice.  The chosen one looks very capable and is astheticaly pleasing to the eye,

Posted Images

7 hours ago, PeterS said:

I don’t think mine goes up to 6500K.

That is the light temperature not the intensity. 6500 is ice cold, I suggest you try 4000 natural white, it's a matter of preference after all.

8 hours ago, PeterS said:

18W sounds great, can you post a link so I know what I’m looking for? I'm sure I would find something similar in the UK.

In the electric shop ask for a LED tube of the length you want, and the two bare holders, you will need to wire one only. These items are so cheap is not worth to buy online.

Hi Peter  can you PM me your address I have roughed out the idea and will send it to you as soon as. The design is simple based on the anglepiose but made from wood relying on friction joints with no springs so can fixed to suit.      Cheers 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like that, I don't know if it was your intention or not, but I love the 'steampunk' look about it, if you could just fit a large analogue dial mounted in a brass plate to adjust the brightness it will be complete. :D

• Thanks 1
On 3/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, Tmuir said:

I really like that, I don't know if it was your intention or not, but I love the 'steampunk' look about it, if you could just fit a large analogue dial mounted in a brass plate to adjust the brightness it will be complete. :D

I was looking for bolts and hex nuts when i got a glimpse of the box holding those barrels and i immediately knew that this is the right thing to do. :) The barrels and knurling was all for the lookout not for practicality. I must have some rest and do something else before I go back to the lamp. More about it here: bench lamp

• 6 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, ro63rto said:

Just bought myself a useful little light from Lidl of all places.

Claims to put out almost 700 lumens and is dimmable with 5 different colour temperatures. Was only £15.
At first try, it certainly is bright.
I'll be testing it soon when I replace the movement in my Breil One Ducati chronograph.

https://i.imgur.com/fvcn1cM.jpg

Nice.....Bought the same about a year ago, mine also have usb ports and daylight color to switch to. A few months ago I turned to 2 Livarno Lux LED Make-Up Lights and attached those to my old watchmakers lamp(which overheated so was not used anymore). These also have daylight color and are extremely thin, Size: Ø1.2 x L29cm and give a nice bright illumination, even with one light. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 18.17.45.png

• 3 months later...

Wishing everyone a happy Friday and safe, speedy trip home from work

I'm in the middle of switching over from a homemade bench made out of a closet door and Tupperware bins, to a rolltop desk(whole other story-vintage solid oak and chair 90 bucks!) and I'd like to get a new bench light. I've read thru several threads on our forum and am aware of many models available out there and read tons of reviews. Who I'd like to hear from is you guys. What you are using, recommendations and hopefully pictures if you have them, and from where you got them. Short notice as I'll be pulling the trigger either tonight or tomorrow. As always many, many thanks.

Mike

So far I'm leaning towards a Grobet LED or GemOro Horizon LED. Feel free to help me change my mind??

• jdm changed the title to Bench Light
  • jdm pinned this topic
1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

Wishing everyone a happy Friday and safe, speedy trip home from work

I'm in the middle of switching over from a homemade bench made out of a closet door and Tupperware bins, to a rolltop desk(whole other story-vintage solid oak and chair 90 bucks!) and I'd like to get a new bench light. I've read thru several threads on our forum and am aware of many models available out there and read tons of reviews. Who I'd like to hear from is you guys. What you are using, recommendations and hopefully pictures if you have them, and from where you got them. Short notice as I'll be pulling the trigger either tonight or tomorrow. As always many, many thanks.

Mike

So far I'm leaning towards a Grobet LED or GemOro Horizon LED. Feel free to help me change my mind??

I am using Titan Tool Supply FO-150 Microscope Light Source for my Microscope. Not the best option as it uses 100W bulb and a fairly noisy fan (not annoying, but..). I bought it a long time ago, paid a lot, but now they are so cheap ? . Well - good for other people! It provides excellent light for the microscope - that's all i need.

And also i have this lamp in black - can't really recommend it, but again - it does the job.

https://www.diverseelectronics.com/products/Magnifier-Workbench-Lamp-3-Diopter-1-75X-Mag-p5824/

Edited by Poljot
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Poljot said:

I am using Titan Tool Supply FO-150 Microscope Light Source for my Microscope. Not the best option as it uses 100W bulb and a fairly noisy fan (not annoying, but..). I bought it a long time ago, paid a lot, but now they are so cheap ? . Well - good for other people! It provides excellent light for the microscope - that's all i need.

And also i have this lamp in black - can't really recommend it, but again - it does the job.

https://www.diverseelectronics.com/products/Magnifier-Workbench-Lamp-3-Diopter-1-75X-Mag-p5824/

if you had the chance what would you put in your current lamps place?

1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

if you had the chance what would you put in your current lamps place?

I actually already placed two LED table lamps - one on each side.

Something almost identical to this, but not that expensive. I can tilt, turn, adjust them and they are not hot

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ott-Lite-OttLite-Refine-LED-Antique-Brass-Desk-Lamp/359428330

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Poljot said:

I actually already placed two LED table lamps - one on each side.

Something almost identical to this, but not that expensive. I can tilt, turn, adjust them and they are not hot

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ott-Lite-OttLite-Refine-LED-Antique-Brass-Desk-Lamp/359428330

well, this is what I chose. we'll see how it works.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-iic0hc/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/47066/76449/LED_adjustable_lamp_13.128__37000.1499366299.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

Hi Mike    As Poljot remarked there are a lot of choices and many will do the job so in the end its down to personal choice.  The chosen one looks very capable and is astheticaly pleasing to the eye, a clean and simple line and should do good service.        all the best

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Poljot said:

I think it's an excellent choice. There are so many options - hard to pick.

Thanks. You're right-I didn't think it was going to be so mind numbing. I thought a few minutes-boom I'd find one. I almost experienced brain overload/shut down. 

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mike    As Poljot remarked there are a lot of choices and many will do the job so in the end its down to personal choice.  The chosen one looks very capable and is astheticaly pleasing to the eye, a clean and simple line and should do good service.        all the best

Never thought it would have been the rabbit hole it turned out to be lol. But it's for watch repair. Why should this be any different? Go figure. 

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum.          The watch repair channel is our Administrator  Mark Lovick.  Bench lights are uasually a personal choice as to what suits you best. as for the brand  best ask Mark Himself as he monitors the site.