22 minutes ago, aac58 said:

These microscopes are not like opticals, but for the price (around 30 € incl p&p) they do great job. As an amateur with a limited budget and limited work space, I'm quite pleased with it and in my opinion yes you can detect small damage. I'm sure you can work better with optical tools, of course.

PIC001.jpg

PIC002.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to prepare and share this. Is this the enhanced quality klassiker says he gets by saving the image direct to hard drive?  I,d say good enough quality. 

36 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Is this the enhanced quality klassiker says he gets by saving the image direct to hard drive?

AFAIK mine cannot be attached to the computer, I think the USB is only to recharge the battery. It accepts a SD target to capture photo and video. Those photos were directly taken with the tools, and this is what the videos look like:

(BTW: too much oil in the cap stone and some lint near the balance :D)

Edited by aac58
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aac58 said:

AFAIK mine cannot be attached to the computer, I think the USB is only to recharge the battery. It accepts a SD target to capture photo and video. Those photos were directly taken with the tools, and this is what the videos look like:

What make and model is yours? I wouldn't mind paying more if I can be sure of  better quality.  Thanks for sharring.  

For my needs what I have is working for me. Since this is a hobby, well for most of us we don't want to spend too much on things. I still need to get a micro sd card in order to take picture from my scope and I don't care that I can't hook it up to a computer but that's just me other may want or need this. Here another shot again taken with my hand held camera, the picture is very clear in person if you could see the screen. This is a bent lower Escape wheel pivot. 

IMG_1796.JPG

Edited by wudce
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wudce said:

For my needs what I have is working for me. Since this is a hobby, well for most of us we don't want to spend too much on things. I still need to get a micro sd card in order to take picture from my scope and I don't care that I can't hook it up to a computer but that's just me other may want or need this. Here another shot again taken with my hand held camera, the picture is very clear in person if you could see the screen. This is a bent lower Escape wheel pivot. 

This too is clear enough.To sort a bent, twisted hairspring, I prefer live observance of the piece as I go. Anything less than a perfect coil is problematic. Thanks for your response. Regards Joe.

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, ro63rto said:

Just bought myself a useful little light from Lidl of all places.

Claims to put out almost 700 lumens and is dimmable with 5 different colour temperatures. Was only £15.
At first try, it certainly is bright.
I'll be testing it soon when I replace the movement in my Breil One Ducati chronograph.

https://i.imgur.com/fvcn1cM.jpg

Nice.....Bought the same about a year ago, mine also have usb ports and daylight color to switch to. A few months ago I turned to 2 Livarno Lux LED Make-Up Lights and attached those to my old watchmakers lamp(which overheated so was not used anymore). These also have daylight color and are extremely thin, Size: Ø1.2 x L29cm and give a nice bright illumination, even with one light. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 18.17.45.png

• 3 months later...

Wishing everyone a happy Friday and safe, speedy trip home from work

I'm in the middle of switching over from a homemade bench made out of a closet door and Tupperware bins, to a rolltop desk(whole other story-vintage solid oak and chair 90 bucks!) and I'd like to get a new bench light. I've read thru several threads on our forum and am aware of many models available out there and read tons of reviews. Who I'd like to hear from is you guys. What you are using, recommendations and hopefully pictures if you have them, and from where you got them. Short notice as I'll be pulling the trigger either tonight or tomorrow. As always many, many thanks.

Mike

So far I'm leaning towards a Grobet LED or GemOro Horizon LED. Feel free to help me change my mind??

• jdm changed the title to Bench Light
  • jdm pinned this topic
1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

Wishing everyone a happy Friday and safe, speedy trip home from work

I'm in the middle of switching over from a homemade bench made out of a closet door and Tupperware bins, to a rolltop desk(whole other story-vintage solid oak and chair 90 bucks!) and I'd like to get a new bench light. I've read thru several threads on our forum and am aware of many models available out there and read tons of reviews. Who I'd like to hear from is you guys. What you are using, recommendations and hopefully pictures if you have them, and from where you got them. Short notice as I'll be pulling the trigger either tonight or tomorrow. As always many, many thanks.

Mike

So far I'm leaning towards a Grobet LED or GemOro Horizon LED. Feel free to help me change my mind??

I am using Titan Tool Supply FO-150 Microscope Light Source for my Microscope. Not the best option as it uses 100W bulb and a fairly noisy fan (not annoying, but..). I bought it a long time ago, paid a lot, but now they are so cheap ? . Well - good for other people! It provides excellent light for the microscope - that's all i need.

And also i have this lamp in black - can't really recommend it, but again - it does the job.

https://www.diverseelectronics.com/products/Magnifier-Workbench-Lamp-3-Diopter-1-75X-Mag-p5824/

Edited by Poljot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Poljot said:

I am using Titan Tool Supply FO-150 Microscope Light Source for my Microscope. Not the best option as it uses 100W bulb and a fairly noisy fan (not annoying, but..). I bought it a long time ago, paid a lot, but now they are so cheap ? . Well - good for other people! It provides excellent light for the microscope - that's all i need.

And also i have this lamp in black - can't really recommend it, but again - it does the job.

https://www.diverseelectronics.com/products/Magnifier-Workbench-Lamp-3-Diopter-1-75X-Mag-p5824/

if you had the chance what would you put in your current lamps place?

1 hour ago, MechanicMike said:

if you had the chance what would you put in your current lamps place?

I actually already placed two LED table lamps - one on each side.

Something almost identical to this, but not that expensive. I can tilt, turn, adjust them and they are not hot

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ott-Lite-OttLite-Refine-LED-Antique-Brass-Desk-Lamp/359428330

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Poljot said:

I actually already placed two LED table lamps - one on each side.

Something almost identical to this, but not that expensive. I can tilt, turn, adjust them and they are not hot

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ott-Lite-OttLite-Refine-LED-Antique-Brass-Desk-Lamp/359428330

well, this is what I chose. we'll see how it works.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-iic0hc/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/47066/76449/LED_adjustable_lamp_13.128__37000.1499366299.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Poljot said:

I think it's an excellent choice. There are so many options - hard to pick.

Thanks. You're right-I didn't think it was going to be so mind numbing. I thought a few minutes-boom I'd find one. I almost experienced brain overload/shut down. 

7 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mike    As Poljot remarked there are a lot of choices and many will do the job so in the end its down to personal choice.  The chosen one looks very capable and is astheticaly pleasing to the eye, a clean and simple line and should do good service.        all the best

Never thought it would have been the rabbit hole it turned out to be lol. But it's for watch repair. Why should this be any different? Go figure. 

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn’t know that people were using beam light for these purposes, and it was surprising to see some suggestions in this thread, but it does not mean that I think they will not work. Quite the contrary – I think this is what might actually work and give me some better light than I have now. I will order some LED lights from vont.com and see for myself how that works in my case. Thanks for the answers.

• Mark unpinned this topic
  • Mark pinned, unpinned and featured this topic
  • 7 months later...

Anyone have any current recommendations for a desk work lamp, the one I have is from Amazon, and I think there must be better options out there. Ideally it would be the type that clamps onto your desk as desk real-estate is at a premium.