Don, I can't see it with the naked eye, what I was referring to is seeing it through my camera's viewfinder/lcd display.

Gotcha. I have a little remote control/dimmer that can attach to my light and it has the same problem. Fortunately, full brightness works for me. Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • jdm featured this topic
  • 9 months later...

Just bought myself a useful little light from Lidl of all places.

Claims to put out almost 700 lumens and is dimmable with 5 different colour temperatures. Was only £15.
At first try, it certainly is bright.
I'll be testing it soon when I replace the movement in my Breil One Ducati chronograph.

fvcn1cM.jpg

• 8 months later...

I struggle with lighting. I have a good 21 Watt, 6500 K led desk lamp but I need something additional due to shadows. Oiling jewels is difficult, slots in screw heads can be difficult to see…
I do have a little led lamp (in the picture) but that’s too high and doesn’t help at all.

I could get an adjustable floor lamp and put a good bulb in it but it’s not very practical, I’d have to keep moving it out of the way all the time.
I’m thinking of a ‘goose neck’ led lamp:
https://durston.com/product/durston-led-goose-neck-lamp-dim-cct-white-eu-plug/

Is there something good around 15W I could get?

20190624_200040 (Copy).jpg

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

How about making the room lighter. Better main lighting. If you have a window in the room, how about moving you bench around to benefit from that. The table top could be a lighter colour. 

I usually get to tinker with it later on when it’s dark. I just bought two 15W cool light - light bulbs for the room, it helps a little but it’s not great, it’s too high in the ceiling. Ideally I could do with something behind me (from the side) and fairly close to cancel the shadows but having a floor lamp would be very awkward. Ideally I’d like something I could put on the desk, sort of a spot light that’s powerful and I could move about and direct the light where I need it.

Hi  Whats the possibility of building a frame fitted to the desk  with an overhead flourescent tube or double tube assembly over the work area, Inconjunction with the desk lamp it should minimise the shadows.  If the height is made adjustable up/down it would be even better. 

I use this LED light. It’s small, standing eleven and a half inches tall. The top of the light flexes so you can move it into different positions. Sometimes it’s too bright so I tape a piece of watchmakers paper to the light to diffuse it a bit. Costs $29.00. I ordered it online from Office Depot. 

Picture is has the light on my workbench. 

53F42657-BF2A-4F0F-B1EE-D9E3D5ED6515.jpeg

8 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Whats the possibility of building a frame fitted to the desk  with an overhead flourescent tube or double tube assembly over the work area, Inconjunction with the desk lamp it should minimise the shadows.  If the height is made adjustable up/down it would be even better. 

I’d love that but I don’t have a dedicated desk, it will have to be an additional light that’s easy to put away and ideally not too big.

2 hours ago, JohnHutchins said:

I use this LED light. It’s small, standing eleven and a half inches tall. The top of the light flexes so you can move it into different positions. Sometimes it’s too bright so I tape a piece of watchmakers paper to the light to diffuse it a bit. Costs $29.00. I ordered it online from Office Depot. 

Picture is has the light on my workbench. imageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5b

53F42657-BF2A-4F0F-B1EE-D9E3D5ED6515.jpeg

Yes, something like that might do the job. In many ways similar to the goose neck lamp I’m looking at.
If only I knew what I need. The light in the picture I posted is very good (not the small one), it’s the fact that it is slightly in front of me hence the shadows. I can move it right above what I’m working on, but again, there will be shadows elsewhere because my hand and head will get in the way.

I’m starting to think that a floor lamp next or close to me will be the best solution, casting the light from opposite direction. A head torch would be perfect but I don’t want to sit there with it on for hours.

When I look at Mark’s oiling videos (jewels) it’s so clear, yes it’s a lot more magnified than my 12x loupe but there are no dark areas.

Thats  a poser,  what I had fitted to the bench at on time was a four in line which used halogen bulbs the same thing uses LEDs now and fitting that up with some 2by1 and made colapsible so that it folds up. the multiple light array should go some way to removing the shadows as the lights strike at different angles,  if it has a decent base a G clamp will fix it to the table/bench, food for  thought.

I don't know if you need diffused or spot light but the latest LED tubes of natural light are amazing. 7 - 8 euro gets you 1.50m at 18W, just use two holders at the end, you can set it on a wood board or what you like.

Hi Peter     Been racking the brain cells, Was thinking on the lines of making your own anglepoise type lamp to your own spec using the 2x1 hinged  and clamped to the bench, as jdm says you can get some LED lights with good light out put and they run cool, better than halogen. Istead of the standard lamp head use a timber rail and mount the lamps on that. parts required are some M6 bolts with wing nuts and some wood. the bolts and wing nuts form the hinge in the wood with a washer each side to tighten the angle when in the required position. If you want a rough drawing message me.

14 hours ago, jdm said:

I don't know if you need diffused or spot light but the latest LED tubes of natural light are amazing. 7 - 8 euro gets you 1.50m at 18W, just use two holders at the end, you can set it on a wood board or what you like.

18W sounds great, can you post a link so I know what I’m looking for? I'm sure I would find something similar in the UK.

12 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Peter     Been racking the brain cells, Was thinking on the lines of making your own anglepoise type lamp to your own spec using the 2x1 hinged  and clamped to the bench, as jdm says you can get some LED lights with good light out put and they run cool, better than halogen. Istead of the standard lamp head use a timber rail and mount the lamps on that. parts required are some M6 bolts with wing nuts and some wood. the bolts and wing nuts form the hinge in the wood with a washer each side to tighten the angle when in the required position. If you want a rough drawing message me.

Yes please, a rough drawing would be fantastic. Thank you.