Advice on removing broken screws

Strip the plate of all other steel parts and then soak in a bath of alum for a few days (the plate, not you!!).

Do a forum search for alum and you will find plenty of references to using alum to remove broken screws. It's not supeer quick but it does work.

are you  shure its left handed?  the  screw driver "as a punch" is a good idea.!  if it had broken off  flush,  sharpen a punch to " needle sharp", punch straight down and then angle it to make it turn.  i have snapped a few screw heads off heavyier  equipment.   vinn   p,s,  you don't  see many lefties except on guns and watches.

Thank you for all the answers, while I wait for the Alum to arrive I notes that the watch runs for a short while and then stops, I have stripped it back and all I can think is that there may be wear on the centre wheel and cannon pinion

i notice that when in place the cannon pinion will wobble if moved, this in turn wobbles the centre wheel

has anyone any experience of this movement, or am I reading something into nothing.

before I stripped the calendar mech I noticed the centre wheel was "difficult" to turn, after removing the calendar works, I notice the wobble 

58 minutes ago, Danh said:

Thank you for all the answers, while I wait for the Alum to arrive I notes that the watch runs for a short while and then stops, I have stripped it back and all I can think is that there may be wear on the centre wheel and cannon pinion

i notice that when in place the cannon pinion will wobble if moved, this in turn wobbles the centre wheel

has anyone any experience of this movement, or am I reading something into nothing.

before I stripped the calendar mech I noticed the centre wheel was "difficult" to turn, after removing the calendar works, I notice the wobble 

You would expect a small amount of side shake on the centre wheel but not too much. If there is excessive wear then it will show up as the holes in the main plate and/or train bridge will be out of round. If this is the case then hey will need to be bushed, or even jewelled if you wanted to.

Is there any chance you could post a cear close up pic of the stripped out main plate and train wheel bridge?

I will post up a video later and pics, it's my own fault, and beating myself up severely for it. I fitted the wrong glass and squashed the centre seconds - finding the other damage is the hard part

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for not updating, been very busy on the day job.

still waiting for the Alum to arrive, God only knows where I ordered it from at Amazon .

anyway I had a stroke of luck on my watch, cost more than I intended, but very much worth it. I had at the moment my AS5008 movement with a snapped screw, replacement centre seconds wheel and a possible dodgy cannon pinion. So a big project at my level of expertise for sure on an investment watch.

the other night a watch dealer in Switzerland posted a gilded (same as the original) NOS AS5008 at a very fair price on eBay.

i decided to take the plunge and it arrived today, and it's beautiful.

i need to fit the day wheel mechanism and day wheel, from the other movement, lubricate, Maurice Lacroix rotor, and assemble. I think it may be a winner if it goes well. 

Nervous about the process a bit, but it's a beautiful watch, and the new movement should keep the watch going for years hopefully.

after that I can take my time with the old movement and hopefully over longer time sort all the issues.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Thought an update was in order on the original topic. The Alum arrived a week ago, and I had the part soaking, it appeared to have an effect but nothing final. 

I did a bit of reading and decided tonight that I would pop the container of water and alum in my ultrasonic heated cleaner.

well 15 mins later past 35 degrees the screw was gone.

in the trays I got from the watch maker that past on was a tub of left hand screws (I bet there is so much useful stuff in these trays you know)

anyway..  

image.jpeg