Hands For A Seiko 7N33 Please

I recently started to become interested in watch building as a hobby.

I have bought a 1980s Seiko 5 Sport 100 non runner and replaced the badly corroded and damaged movement with a 7N33 movement.

I have found the spec for the hands to fit a 7N33 but when I look at sites like Cousins UK I cant decipher what parts I actually need to order. If possible I would like hands with a shape in keeping with the originals but appreciate that might not be possible.

The spec is as follows:

Hour 1.10   mm

Minute .65   mm

sweep second .21  mm

I've attached a photo of the type of Sport 100 I have which might help.

Any help will be very much appreciated,

Bern

post-204-0-23130500-1400528078_thumb.jpg

Blacklab,

I am very new to this subject so please excuse my lack of details.

Details from the dial/face =

Seiko SQ Sports 100

On the case =

6923 - 7089 (A4)

On the movement that was inside (I can't say if this was the original or not) =

No jewels

S Epson Corp

VX33E

I have found that the Seiko 7N33 movement fits with an adapted case ring so I was going to use that as they are readily available.

Total length of original hands =

Hour     9.05mm (This is the one that is relatively badly bent so it may be slightly longer)

Minute 12.70mm

Sweep second  16.00mm (Again this is badly bent so it may be slightly longer)

I hope this helps,

Bern

Do the original hands fit the new movement?

If so the parts you need are:

Seconds: 3AA125F3ANG

Hour: 12P93BGH

Minute: 12P93BGM

I believe these are correct & Cousins have them but you may need to double check.

Also the movement inside was not the original.

• Like 1

Blacklab,

This is very kind of you. Thank you for your patience and help.

The original hands do fit the new movement.

I didn't think the movement was the original but that was just a hunch based on the fact that the inside of the case was blued so I assume the battery had been fried at some point.

I'll get ordering from Cousins,

Bern

I had a go and now have a working watch using a crown ring I modified, a Hattori VX33E movement and an assortment of hands from the original watch and a seconds hand from a Seiko 6319A.

This turned into a bit of a dogs breakfast as I didn't know that the original Seiko crown was press fitted to the stem which meant I have had to order a new "kit" from Cousins UK as follows:

Movement 7N33M (Black with gold lettering)

Set of Seiko specific crowns

Adhesive pads

Gold plated hands 110/65/20

My question now is will the Seiko crown screw onto the stem that comes with the Seiko 7N33M? I presume it will. :)

I won't post a picture until I have fitted the above kit as an image of the current version might make your eyes bleed!

Crown soldered to stem, red and black lettering on white day/date wheels, etc. :startle:

Bern

I've started to fit this all together including a new gold plated Seiko crown.

With a slight modification to a case ring it's all coming along reasonably well for my first proper rebuild.

What I didn't realise was that Cousins don't supply movements with a battery, unlike the American suppliers, so another order is going off to them (no wonder Royal Mail are making a profit).

What I have noticed is that in the round recess where the battery cell will go there is a metal tab on the base with a layer of thin plastic on top of it. Does this stay in place or do I need to remove it before I fit the battery cell?

Bernard

That's a dear way to buy a battery, I'd buy a Renata battery from EBay, it will probably cost you about £1 to £1.50 delivered. :-)

Post a picture of the battery compartment showing the plastic that you are talking about. It's maybe the insulator in the wrong way.

Good suggestion Blacklab, they are a good company to deal with.

I'm struggling to see the battery compartment properly, but it looks like the insulator is missing.

Can someone else please shed light on this problem?

• 9 years later...
On 5/20/2014 at 11:05 PM, Blacklab said:

Do the original hands fit the new movement?

If so the parts you need are:

Seconds: 3AA125F3ANG

Hour: 12P93BGH

Minute: 12P93BGM

I believe these are correct & Cousins have them but you may need to double check.

Also the movement inside was not the original.

Hi BlackLab.

You seem to have good knowledge  - I don't suppose you can assist with a part number for an integrated crown and stem? It's for a seiko sports 150 from 1995

7N33 - 6A3B AD

CASE # 5D5881

Can't find info on parts anywhere  😞

Tim

20 minutes ago, NewAdventure said:

Hi BlackLab.

You seem to have good knowledge  - I don't suppose you can assist with a part number for an integrated crown and stem? It's for a seiko sports 150 from 1995

7N33 - 6A3B AD

CASE # 5D5881

Can't find info on parts anywhere  😞

Tim

Blacklab hasn’t been here in almost a year so I’ll try to help

stem 351-892 0.8mm tap 11 https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/stems-from-seiko-part-3514

it’s a good bit down the page

i can’t find anything for an integrated crown and stem, you should be able to find an alternative crown using the stem tap and looking for a close fit.

Tom

• Like 1