Landeron 48 with aftermarket dial restoration

Some of you already know that I bought myself as a birthday present, and to celebrate the birth of my first daughter, a Landeron 248 based Chronograph to restore / fix, and that I thought that it was a redial. Here the thread about it:

Apparently it is not only the case ot a simple redial (albeit with a wrong dial which was adapted) but what I would define as "watchmaker's botchery", since the dial itself was fixed to the case with 2 screws (and from the front side...):

$_57 (5).JPG

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

• Like 1

The dial is all wrong... having also some numbers hand engraved as you can see above the 60 / 12hr mark and at 1.

I really don't care about the dial, since I have some original spares here with me and I was actually looking for a case and movement to complete a watch.

The case apart from some light scratches due to apparent wear is fine, so is the glass. I will disassemble the movement and post pics as I do it. Stick around...

6 hours ago, GeorgeClarkson said:

If the moderator can remove the "248" from the title and tags, please.

That's it sorted George.

I look forward to seeing progress on this one, this was the first type of chronograph I repaired.

• Like 1

Thanks Geo.

I was able to make some steps forward: i disassembled the entire movement and cleaned it, then reassembled it and noticed that the dial was not the only issue: the balance wheel had the upper pivot broken off and the balance cock was a bit bent downwards.

I tried replacing the complete balance wheel keeping the air spring, bit something was touching the wheel thus slowing it down.

So I went for a more drastic solution: I replaced the balance Assembly altogether (wheel, air spring and cock) with one spere I had and apart the fact that the beat error is huge, it works...

• 2 months later...

Just following this adventure George! Seems you are quite a wizard solving what seems to be unsolvable! Good going and yes, please, show us your progress!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Looking at those screws in the front of the dial I can't believe someone "fixed" the watch that way!

• Like 1

I just managed figured out I didn't upload the pictures of the work don on this watch, thanks for reminding me, bob;)

So here it goes...

Since the L.48 had some issues, I swapped it with a L.151 which is dimensionally identical, of course. This movement needed only a good service, or I thought so...

So I started removing the dial, removing the screws that were holding it.

P1010001 (2).JPG

P1010003.JPG

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Since the battery of the digital camera decided to take an unexpected break, I have no pictures of the disassembly, unfortunately. All I can say is that I removed the movement from the case, and proceeded to remove all the parts, one by one. When I finally got hold of new batteries, this is the status I was in:

P1010016.JPG

And the digital camera failed on me again... not the battery though, it had other issues apparently, so no more disassembly pics, I am deeply sorry.

Anyway, suffice to say that this movement needed a complete service and a couple of parts, so I decided to swap it with a L.151 I had and that had a couple only of resolvable issues, which where a missing spring and a not correctly set driving wheel.