Technique For Glueing Crystals

• 4 weeks later...

I would also like to see how this is done by others.  I recently installed a new crystal on my father's 30 year old Seiko with GS Hypo Cement.  During the cleaning of the crystal (after the cement had hardened) it popped out.  I recemented it 2 more times with the same results.  I asked a local watchmaker what he used and he told me to buy 330 Epoxy, which I did.  I was going to try it later today.

I would also like to see how this is done by others.  I recently installed a new crystal on my father's 30 year old Seiko with GS Hypo Cement.  During the cleaning of the crystal (after the cement had hardened) it popped out.  I recemented it 2 more times with the same results.  I asked a local watchmaker what he used and he told me to buy 330 Epoxy, which I did.  I was going to try it later today.

I used the 330 Epoxy a few hours ago to cement the new crystal (again).  I'll check it tomorrow to see if it holds.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I use 5 minute epoxy which dries clear. This works with both mineral glasses and Perspex glasses and will last very well if the mix is correct. So you should be fine with the method you have chosen.

The hypo tube cement you mentioned earlier is useful for securing Perspex glasses but I prefer epoxy.

Hypo cement is excellent for securing dial chapters if they fall off as they so often do especially with seikos. So it is well worth keeping it around the workshop.

I fitted an acrylic glass to a 1950's pocket watch about a year ago and it's fine, I used Araldite precision, I first took off the bezel from the watch case and cleaned it in cleaner, then I applied a thin bead of the cement to each surface with a fine needle while using an eyeglass, fitting the glass and leaving it slightly weighted for 24 hours to set. The cement formed a good bond and is invisible to the naked eye and only just visible through an eyeglass, hope this helps.

• Like 1

Any epoxy resin that dries clear should do the trick. Araldite is just one brand, loctite is another and there are more. The one I have had consistently excellent results with over the years is actually made by Seiko. I have been using this since around 1988 if memory serves me.

So it's Seiko S-310 adhesive. It should be available in the US, at one time it was obsolete but they started making it again according to my supplier.

I found this website sells it but I never dealt with that company (as I am in the UK)

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=G12-0310

It takes longer to dry but is very strong. Let it dry overnight and it will be fine.

I used the 330 Epoxy a few hours ago to cement the new crystal (again).  I'll check it tomorrow to see if it holds.  Fingers crossed!

The 330 Epoxy seems to have done the trick!  It held nicely and dried clear.  Now I need to reinstall the movement and finish the job so my dad can have it in time for Christmas!

post-38-0-60423400-1386901362_thumb.jpg