New From South Africa

Tjaart

Hi there. I am Tjaart Booyens. Living in a small town,Postmasburg in the Kalahari desert in South Africa. I am a bit of a collector...mmmmm ...of everything. For the past 30 years it was model cars... you know the usual Hotwheels,Matchbox and everything in between. Been buying in the UK and getting them shipped to South Africa for the past 3 years on a monthly bases. Have about 600 now. I have a few coins from around the world, old and new. Very recently my mother had a spring cleen and throw out some old stuff , and that is where I saved some old watches. Enter a new hobby and interest. Another one. In the lot was an old Osco mechanical winding watch from around the early 70's. I just wind it and there it go. Another one was an old Marvin,I guess around the late 50's/early 60's, and that was another wind and running one. The small Olma was a non runner but I guess this was around the 50's. Then I got an Edox Delfin in parts also and would like to get it together and running.

When I started reading about mechanical watches,I ended up buying a Vostok with another one in my E bay watchlist. I bought a K&S a few months back and was surprised, it is not a bad watch. I had a look at the tools needed and had the surprise of my life. But I guess this was to be expected, being a VW diagnostic technician ,I know what tools can cost.

I am tempted to buy a HMT watch as an everyday working piece, as I have read good reviews on them so far. I am also tempted to buy a few cheap mechanical movements to practise and fiddle with.

Welcome to the forum Tjaart, what a great introduction. I can see that this will probably turn I to an expensive hobby for you.

I started off in a small way then the bug bit big style. At first it was buying cheap non-runners from Fleabay then it rapidly spread to more expensive ones. Will is another enthusiast that can confirm the addictive nature.

I'm sure that you will enjoy the forum as it is a friendly place with a lot of knowledgable people that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

Thanx all you guys. Willfly maybe I can make you an offer on some old toys ....... still an addict there too... :thumbsu: Thanx Geo.... Yea it is going to be rough on the pocket on this side of the globe. But I still like to have a go at it. I thought giving up model cars because it was expensive ,,,,,,just to step in another deeper hole.    Love a challange...

Edited by Tjaart

In patricular Thanx Mark. I have watched some of your You tube videos and are very impressed. You have a lovely calm manner in presenting and you know your stuff. I have already learned from the master......