Hey,

I need some help and advise; 

The second central sweep hand on my Wakmann triple date frequently rubs against the minute hand. While trying to adjust it I realized that it sits without having a collet; meaning there is a hole in the hand and no little tubing collet attached to it. No wonder it tilts to the side from time to time.

The question is: did you ever see a central sweep seconds hand without this little collet attached to it?

If I realize that it was broken by the previous owner at one point, I will look for the 0.25 hole replacement hand.

I'm surprised that it has enough purchase on the chrono wheel pivot to remain in place when you reset the chrono. Are you certain that the pipe (what you refer to as a collet) is not actually attached to the chronograph wheel pivot??? I had that exact situation with a Breitling Cal 11i. If it is still attached it can be tricky to remove without crushing it. I used a cannon pinion remover. Here's a pic of the repair underway....

IMG_0628.JPG

Well, the sweep hand is definitely flat and has no pipe attached to it. In order for it to sit tight on the pivot I had to make a hole smaller by tapping on the edge of it from the underside of the hand - this was quite a task under the microscope.

It is sitting tighter now and the hand resets to zero. I am sure that if I reset this chrono to zero 10-20 times, the hand will get loose again and might fall off.

I managed to find a replacement hand on ebay. As soon as it arrives I will paint it white and will install it. This hand does have a tube .25. Will see how it works.

SSTAKOFF, do yo mean that the tube might broke off the hand and still remains permanently on the pivot while the hand is resting on it? That is when you think it will be difficult to remove it?

I am a collector, not a watchmaker, and over the years I gained some skills and knowledge, so thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Thanks guys for your input.

I will share the outcome of the effort.

By the way do you know where I can get pushers for the Walmart triple date? The previous owner or a butcher watchmaker made a few dents on them by, I guess, trying to grab them and unscrew them with the pliers???!!! :)

They look like the pushers of the Navitimer with Venus 178  made in 1970-s.