Date wheel spring for Certina 25-651

I've been poking around with a Certina cal. 25-651 for some time now. When putting the last piece together, the date wheel mechanism, I realized the date disc was not moving no matter how many times the hour hand went around. 

I started looking into the problem and soon realized the date wheel, 2556 had a broken spring. The "hook" on the spring was missing.

1606212208_0.jpg

Googling the problem revealed two things: a.) the spring is fragile and my problem is a common one with this calibre b.) The replacement part is hard to come by and expensive when found. 

I've been buying scrappers on eBay before to get around this issue but taking the watchmaking craftsmanship to the next step for me would be to start manufacturing my own replacement parts. I like the idea of this since I think it's the only viable way for watchmakers working with vintage watches when more and more replacement parts, no longer in production, are sold out. 

I've managed to take the wheel apart using the staking set. Next thing would be to create this tiny spring. Where should I start. I have parts of it left (as seen below) and I think I can find pictures of it online, good enough to understand how it should be shaped. 

1606212244_9.jpg

I need to measure the dimensions of the material used in the original spring. Not sure it's necessary to get it correct on a micrometer level but it must be pretty much the same to fit in the frame on the wheel.

Some questions ..

1. Where can I get hold of material used for the new spring. I'm a regular customer at CousinsUK so i prefer to buy from there if possible. Other sellers with inside of the European union will do :). 

2. What tools are preferred when shaping the spring? Tweezers and pliers? Something more delicate? 

Thanks! 

/Alex

Do you have a stash of old click springs of varying lengths and diameters a lot aren't tempered that much and are easily bent into shape I've made quite a few obscure springs that way.

"Do you have a stash of old click springs of varying lengths and diameters a lot aren't tempered that much and are easily bent into shape I've made quite a few obscure springs that way."

That is one alternative I've been considering. A set of assorted click springs are pretty cheap to come by. 

Make sure you vote to stay in the European union. My purchases from cousinsuk.com are absolutely threatened a possible Brexit :)

Oh and I work with the spring I'm copying and the one I'm manipulating inside a clear thick plastic bag with a zip top and I work on the outside of the bag. There's nothing worse than nearly bending one into shape and it pinging away never to be seen again.:pulling-hair-out:

• Like 1

Some time ago I purchased a small assortment of spring material - I believe it's a Bergeon assortment. They are probably still available. Chapter 15 of Donald deCarle's "Practical Watch Repairing" - available on Kindle - is devoted to making new parts. He walks you through an example of making a spring - heat treatments and all!!!

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 3.01.12 PM.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’ll bump this thread, because I’m also taking apart my 26-651, and it too has a a broken date change.

Did you have any luck making the spring yourself?

I have tried googling, but haven’t managed to get a good understanding of what it should look like, and how it should be mounted. High resolution images, and tips on solutions would be greatly appreciated! [emoji4]

537486165.175965public.thumb.JPG.c6468b7579d564f4a6dac4b2acae6771.JPG

537486171.458254public.thumb.JPG.9a8fb3723eca4446f715facaac8f303d.JPG

That is a real pain in the behind spring. Have broken 2 of those. Lucky to have a spare that time . But no longer. They are hard to find. Seen those that have tried to repair them. But never seen a good repair. Heard that a hairspring or mainspring could work. Somewhere here i think i have a bent one. Think it's bent like a triangel and only one side is attached to the wheel. Can see if i find it and take a picture. 

Edited by rogart63