Can somebody please help me read this Name?

Cougarnaut

It looks like it could be John Hargreave Birmingham and going by the dial and hands dates from about 1750 to 1800.

Having said this, I cannot find any record of this name for a Birmingham clockmaker.

With some held from a genealogy site where they decipher old writing this is what they have come up with.  

It's definitely John, and I think it's quite likely to be Masgreave.

Ancestry have a number of old directories, which mention a John Masgreave in Birmingham:

Wrightson's Directory for 1815 and 1818 has him as a Brass Founder

The England Commercial Directory 1816-17 has him as a Brass Founder with the note "(clock)" after his name, and the address Summer-row

• Like 1

Painted 30 hour longcase clock also called a white dial clock. Looks like a 12inch square dial, although early ones had a 10inch dial. Count wheel strike on the back plate. Anchor escapement, strike hammer I think this is a replacement they are normally in steel not brass and doesn't look the same brass as the rest of the movement which has four pillars. Very large bell this I would expect to see. One thing I'm not happy with and it might be down to the photo you have taken of the dial and movement side on, it looks as if one of the dial feet has been forced down to fit the movement, is this right or is it the photo deceiving me only there's no sign of strain or paint cracking on the painted dial which makes me think it's the photo. 30 hour types take a hell of a lot of wear it is the full weight that force these clocks to keep going, when they stop expect a lot of work to do. When winding these 30 hours up take the weight and pull the chain so you are taking the full weight yourself.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

It is definitely John Masgreave, he married Elizabeth Harlow in St Oswalds Church Ashbourne on 22 June 1807. Elizabeth was the daughter of Samuel Boulton Harlow another Clockmaker. they are on my family tree.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1