Valjoux 72c set hands to zero

Please help.

I have a problem adjusting my Valjoux 72c hands to zero ( Wakmann Triple Date). Holding the B pusher I install the hands exactly at zero point. Start the chrono, run for about 2 min, reset to zero - none of the 2 sub dials and the central second hand move to zero. By pushing the pusher a few times my sub dial hands change positions a bit closer to zero, but never stop at zero. The central second hand always stops at the same spot, not zero.

When I hold the reset pusher and install hands, they still can be moved around freely. Nothing is holding them at zero position.

The hands collets are intact and not cracked.

Is there any adjustment for the hearts that set the hands to zero? Any suggestions? I am not a professional watchmaker, but my skill level with watches is about 5 out of 10. I can get the watch disassembled and put together, so please suggest a way to deal with this.

Thanks so much.

This is just a thought? Could the hands  be slipping on the pivots? Have never worked on a valjoux 72. But now that valjoux 7750 for example you need to support the wheels from the underside when pressing on the hands? 

Edited by rogart63

Thanks. It is impossible to support the wheels from underside when installing the hands. How do you get underside without disassembling the watch? Today tried several times. No luck. I guess i will need to disassemble to see the hearts.

Hey, anybody, any thoughts?

Looks like there is none that has any answer? @Mark must have work on a valjoux 72 . I am not sure how and if i can ping him? 

I guess you have search the net? It's an expensive movement and usually it in expensive watches? 

This is a PDF from watchguy. http://watchguy.co.uk/technical-instructions-service-manuals/

Almost at the end of the list :)

Edited by rogart63

I agree that this is likely caused by the hands not being pressed on firmly enough. And to do that you certainly need to support the pivots when installing the hands. If you are working on the hands, presumably the watch is out of the case. The "underside" is actually the back of the watch - opposite the dial. You need to place the pivot on something like a stake of appropriate size, a movement-specific holder for this very purpose, or a platform such as a Bergeon 5409 which is designed to support the pivot.

It is also possible that there is something wrong with the reset hammers and/or hearts. They need to be very smooth and properly adjusted. There is also an eccentric stud that is used to adjust the reset. See images attached as they may help!

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.53.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.54.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.56.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.56.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.57.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.57.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.58.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.58.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-20 at 7.58.36 PM.png

• Like 2

Thanks so much.

The issue was simply resolved

1. The center second hand was loosely set. Tapped on the hole to make it smaller.

2. The hammers as well as the hearts were bone dry. Oiled.

Issue resolved.

Thanks to all for your great input.