Hi,

I've been interested in watches and clocks for decades. 

Recently in another forum, someone posted "Show me you watch". 

So I did. 

Every day I changed y watch and tool a photo and posted it online.

After 4 weeks (20 watches) I decided to stop as the only watches I have left didn't work. So this got me thinking. I have 3 pocket watches and a wristwatch that don't work. 

The pocket watches problems are all "Hair spring" (if that's the correct terminology). The wrist watch is another issue altogether - someone, before I bought it seems to have taken it apart and not put it back together again. 

Anyways.... I decided I'd like ot learn ow to repair mechanical watches for my own enjoyment/ frustration. 

I love the vintage automatics like Seiko 5 and Citizen. I love the cheap, but pretty like Indian military. I'd like to get a few from eBay that are listed as "Spare or repairs" and either repair or build up a bank of spare parts. 

I hope to learn a lot. 

John

Good introduction John, and welcome aboard.  You should find this a very helpful forum, and if you study the repair videos and repair walkthroughs on this site, you will soon get a good idea of what is involved.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Paddy1302
      Hello all!
      After delving through this part of the forums, I found the post on pocket watches and their lubrication and I managed to download the Moebius pdf.
      Quite useful info indeed.
      Is there a possibility that someone "in the know" would give his opinion on the same subject but specifically for wristwatches?
      I would also like some opinions of Augusta oils, as an alternative for Moebius.

Thanks!

Patrick
    • By LeAnn
      I honestly just wanted to know how much it would cost me to fix my meylan stopwatch no. 214 if I were to send it to meylan to fix. I feel i should because on the inside the bezel case said to. And if I choose to send it to meylan then do i just send it or can I set up something online because on meylan's website I can't find anything about repairs or my stopwatch in particular. If you can help with some answers I would greatly appreciate it.
    • By Harmines
      Good evening everyone. I am new to this forum and i can see we have some outstanding experts on the site.
      brand new to watch repair and looking to get some advice. I purchased an Omega seamaster quarts 1342 watch (not currently working and not tested) as it was a bargain and understand that 329 is the equivalent of the original mercury battery used when the watch was manufactured?
      I am hoping the battery change will mean it is functional but in the event it does not work, how easy/costly is it to repair. (I’ve heard parts can turn this bargain into a money pit)
      would anyone in this community willing to have a go at fixing it after i try battery change?
      paid service of course.
      any help advice would be much appreciated
      thank you 

• By Macgman2000
      Hello All,
      I am relatively new to this hobby. I am an electronics engineer by profession in Los Angeles. I have been designated as the go to person for replacing watch batteries and fixing vintage & modern electronic gadgets for almost my entire life. Recent past, my father told me in casual conversation that his watch was running slow. I didn't know until later on that it was an automatic movement, which got me down this slippery slope. Since then I have downloaded time grapher apps, bought a dedicated chinese time grapher, purchased a set of tools that would rival Marks workshop...lol. I tend to do that, get hooked and immerse myself in things that interest me. I am an amateur radio operator, machinist, wood worker, photographer...on and on. I have learned a lot about a lot of things and have been successful in using that knowledge which keeps me motivated.
      I fix and restore old film cameras and have a collection of prized fully functional 40's through 1981 SLR cameras. I got so good at it, I had a steady stream of people willing to pay me whatever I wanted to get their vintage/classic cameras re-sealed, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted. I no longer add to my collection since getting married....lol. But always keep an eye out for a rare find. Before the above, I was into machining. I have a full machining table stop workshop. 14" lathe, 24" 3-in-one lathe/mill,/drill, belt sander, grind/polisher, assortment of dremels and many other goodies. I also learned to MIG weld. I built up a dune buggy single axle carrier trailer for my brother-in-law to drag behind his truck (still in service 7 years later). That was a learning experience. I watched lots of videos and talked to professional welders. Ended up doing exercises of all kinds of welds and cutting them open to see the depth of penetration to learn how to dial in my machine for various thicknesses.
      I have many other interests that I have embraced and learned by doing, going to spare you the rest LOL....I am passionate about learning.
      My current projects:
      1). Refinishing the cabinet and restoring the electronics on a 1930 Philco Model 77 low boy radio.
      2). Refinishing and restoring an old library cart. My wife and I have plans for this, maybe a mobile bar LOL...
      3). Making a kitchen knife set for my wife. I know, easier to buy, but for me it's all about the journey. I made my first Santoku and she uses it a lot. Bought metal blanks, shaped and grinded it (via printed template from pictures) into what looks like a pretty good knife that holds its edge well.
      4). Restoring a 1980 Star Wars themed alarm clock. I have the old record player mechanism working. The Bradley wind up clock is running slow even when the external speed adjustment is maxed out at the ++ mark. That should be a learning experience.
      5). Assembled an ETA 2824-2 movement watching Mark's and other videos on youtube. It is in a beautiful watch now (for my dad's birthday) that I built from German and Swiss part sources. I ran into the problem where the stem would not fit back in the mechanism while fitting a new stem/crown to the case. Thanks Mark for the detailed video on how to fix that, took me about 1 hour of trying various things before I figured it out. Watch works wonderfully, in beat in 5 positions and my worst is +3 seconds per day, stem up. Dial up it bounces between +1 and 0.
      I will ask a lot of question so please bear with me, this is all still new to me :)
      -Nick

• By east3rn
      Hello dear watch repairers.
      I am working on a Bifora 910 manual wind movement.
      The movement was cleaned and oiled yesterday and I have been testing the performance.
      I noticed that when the watch is fully wound, the amplitude reaches somewhere above 300 and rate gets super high.
      However after about 5 minutes, both amplitude and rate plunge to a very low state.
      I thought mainspring was the reason so I took the barrel out, cleaned the mainspring and applied 8200 oil again only to get the similar result.
      What do you think is the problem and what can be done??
      I am always thankful for your help.

this is when fully wound

After 5 minutes