Hi,

I've been interested in watches and clocks for decades. 

Recently in another forum, someone posted "Show me you watch". 

So I did. 

Every day I changed y watch and tool a photo and posted it online.

After 4 weeks (20 watches) I decided to stop as the only watches I have left didn't work. So this got me thinking. I have 3 pocket watches and a wristwatch that don't work. 

The pocket watches problems are all "Hair spring" (if that's the correct terminology). The wrist watch is another issue altogether - someone, before I bought it seems to have taken it apart and not put it back together again. 

Anyways.... I decided I'd like ot learn ow to repair mechanical watches for my own enjoyment/ frustration. 

I love the vintage automatics like Seiko 5 and Citizen. I love the cheap, but pretty like Indian military. I'd like to get a few from eBay that are listed as "Spare or repairs" and either repair or build up a bank of spare parts. 

I hope to learn a lot. 

John

Good introduction John, and welcome aboard.  You should find this a very helpful forum, and if you study the repair videos and repair walkthroughs on this site, you will soon get a good idea of what is involved.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Joshua
      Hey, so I have a question. I've got an Invicta dive watch with a NH35A movement here that whenever I unthread the stem and crown as it is unthreading the date starts changing. Once its unthreaded I can change it to the 1, 2 and 3 positions and set and wind it accordingly. How can I fix this and what is causing this? 

Yours truly, Josh
    • By tmilligan
      Question for those who work on Vintage Timex watches:
      I've restored several Timex pieces from the late '60s to the late '70s.  The technique I learned (from Internet posts and tutorials) say to simply loosen the dial-side balance pivot by unscrewing it 1/2 turn prior to cleaning the entire movement in an ultrasonic cleaner.  This method contradicts the official Timex service manuals, which state that the balance should be removed, cleaned separately and reinstalled.  Thus preventing the hairspring form being damaged in the ultrasonic cleaner.
      My experience is this: 
      Leaving the balance in place (slightly loosened) is much easier and will work on the standard movements used in the '70s (M24/25, M32/33, M104, etc.) Attempting the same method on movements from the '50s and '60s (M22, M29, etc) will result in a kinked hairspring that is damn near impossible to un-kink.  So my question is this:
      What do you experienced Timex restoration experts recommend?  Leave the balance/hairspring in the movement for cleaning, or take it out to soak in a separate jar?
      Is the potential for hairspring damage greater when removing/reinstalling the balance - in comparison to leaving it in place?
      I've messed up a couple of vintage movements that I really wish I hadn't.   I don't want to make those mistakes again.
      Thanks for any insights!
        -Todd

• By Paddy1302
      Hello all!
      After delving through this part of the forums, I found the post on pocket watches and their lubrication and I managed to download the Moebius pdf.
      Quite useful info indeed.
      Is there a possibility that someone "in the know" would give his opinion on the same subject but specifically for wristwatches?
      I would also like some opinions of Augusta oils, as an alternative for Moebius.

Thanks!

Patrick
    • By LeAnn
      I honestly just wanted to know how much it would cost me to fix my meylan stopwatch no. 214 if I were to send it to meylan to fix. I feel i should because on the inside the bezel case said to. And if I choose to send it to meylan then do i just send it or can I set up something online because on meylan's website I can't find anything about repairs or my stopwatch in particular. If you can help with some answers I would greatly appreciate it.
    • By Harmines
      Good evening everyone. I am new to this forum and i can see we have some outstanding experts on the site.
      brand new to watch repair and looking to get some advice. I purchased an Omega seamaster quarts 1342 watch (not currently working and not tested) as it was a bargain and understand that 329 is the equivalent of the original mercury battery used when the watch was manufactured?
      I am hoping the battery change will mean it is functional but in the event it does not work, how easy/costly is it to repair. (I’ve heard parts can turn this bargain into a money pit)
      would anyone in this community willing to have a go at fixing it after i try battery change?
      paid service of course.
      any help advice would be much appreciated
      thank you