Swiss ébauche in need of 11.2 mm Minute wheel (3.7 mm pinion)

Following a string of missteps that costed the integrity of an antique watch, as documented in our forum, and after taking some time to re-consider my future as a horologist, I decided to go back to the 'workshop' with a clear intention to right my wrongs.

The subject that lies on my table is an 1890s Swiss ébauche which cannot run its full length and stops after a few hours from winding.

_DSC7086.jpg

Fig. 1. Dial view.

_DSC7077.jpg

Fig. 2. Rear view.

The setting was not smooth to start with as the hands were missing some turns of the stem. So I removed the dial to inspect the minute and hour wheels.

_DSC7076.jpg

Fig. 3. Front view with hour and minute wheels visible.

With the hour wheel removed, I could notice the action between the minute wheel and the cannon pinion was failing to happen.

_DSC7080.jpg

Fig. 4. Minute wheel-cannon pinion defective action.

The culprit has been caught.

Wheel.gif

Fig. 5. Minute wheel with worn teeth.

Without the minute wheel, it turns out the watch can run like a century ago. This wheel will have to replaced to re-establish the normal watch operation.

I hope you liked this post. Now, my appeal to you, fellow watch enthusiasts.

Iif you have a minute wheel 11.2 mm in diameter (diameter for pinion is 3.7 mm) please do get in touch, as that wheel is for this watch.

Edited by Edmund

Consider that you are addressing a limited number of people here. Finding a spare can be impossible, probably easier would be an entire watch or movement. Depending on the value of the watch it may be needed to have a new wheel and pinion made by a master.

20 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Have an old FHF 3 pocket watch movement somewhere? Could that have that part? 

You mean Your movement could have that part? :) Or both? 

Or minde could have that minute wheel? Maybe, i will check it.

These are the dimensions of mine gear. A separate wheel is ok as well. It has ~2.1mm hole in the middle. 

20160525_113852_1920.jpg

Edited by szbalogh

Your pocket watch is what's known as a five bar movement. Very popular with old watch repairs/makers. Your best bet is to find someone who has been it the trade for yonks or has had old stock handed down. The alternative is find a watch maker who has gear cutting equipment to make you one. The cannon pinon is fixed to a center spindle that goes right through the center wheel it needs to have a little grease to make the operation smooth when setting the hands. To remove the spindle you tap the front end and the spindle should protrude and you pull it out, make sure you remove the balance complete before you under take the task first or you could end up witha broken staff.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szbalogh said:

You mean Your movement could have that part? :) Or both? 

Or minde could have that minute wheel? Maybe, i will check it.

These are the dimensions of mine gear. A separate wheel is ok as well. It has ~2.1mm hole in the middle. 

20160525_113852_1920.jpg

I was thinking if my FHF 3 pocket atch movement could have a minute wheel that worked for the OP . But when i measured it looks like it is bigger in diameter. 

That wheel you show in the drawing looks more like a center wheel? Thought  the OP wanted a minute wheel? 

Edited by rogart63

Yes You both are right, i am searching for a center wheel. It was really hard to remove the pinion but let it as the last task during disassembly. There are more broken pivots in this watch, the balance and the gear next to the center wheel.  I dont know what they did to this watch but even some jewels were broken as well.  

We have some facebook groups dealing with old watches, watch parts.... Contacted all watchmakers with good supplies. I will drop in the OP question as well. 

If you live in the U K getting in touch with the B H I might help. Tell them where you live and what you have and condition and they will help in finding someone who is capable of repairing it for you. Mind you with so much damage I wouldn't think its worth repairing.

43 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

If you live in the U K getting in touch with the B H I might help. Tell them where you live and what you have and condition and they will help in finding someone who is capable of repairing it for you. Mind you with so much damage I wouldn't think its worth repairing.

Thank You! I am hungarian. Will contact BHI. This a hobby for me, so all watch is worth repairing :biggrin: 

Right now i am drilling hole for the new pinion in the 3rd wheel :biggrin:

20160614_140218[1].jpeg

Edited by szbalogh

I am sorry but doesn't understand this? Edmund the OP wants a center wheel? And szbalogh needs a minute wheel? 

Or am i mixing things up? It goes round in my little head? 

Or is Edmund and szbalogh the same person?

Edited by rogart63

10 hours ago, Edmund said:

Talking minute wheel.gif

P.S.: I am the OP (Original Perpetrator).

Checked my stock of minute wheels but not even close in this dimensions. 

10 hours ago, ftwizard said:

szbalogh, hijacking a thread is considered bad form. Why not start your own?

Sorry.