tighten a canon pinion?

can it be done? if so, how? i don't have any watchmaker's tools.

i have a seiko 7006 watch with a very loose canon pinion, i believe. when i set it, the crown turns without any perceptible resistance. it's rather annoying because i'd like to feel something there as i set the watch.

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

can it be done? if so, how? i don't have any watchmaker's tools.

i have a seiko 7006 watch with a very loose canon pinion, i believe. when i set it, the crown turns without any perceptible resistance. it's rather annoying because i'd like to feel something there as i set the watch.

Does the watch keep time?

JC

I wouldn't tighten it then. Even with the proper canon pinion tightening tool, it is easy to over tighten and then you'll have to find another canon pinion. I did this twice on the same watch. If it starts to lose time, then you can cross that bridge, but for now I would suggest you let it be.

JC

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Edited by noirrac1j

Hi,

I agree if watch is keeping time the canon pinion is fine however yesterday I ran into this servicing an Old Waltham and thought you all might be interested in seeing a really worn out canon pinion. Amazingly enough watch still keeps time.

DSCN3122.JPG

The cannon pinion should be friction tight that's all. the main cause of it being to loose is the hands won't carry round or will move in fits and starts but the watch will still go and it will run right down. If the canon pinion is too tight it will stop the watch.

Hello,

A loose canon pinon would cause a loss of minutes in a day...I had onw situation where the watch would lose 20 minutes between marking 7 and 8....within an hour. When you start to see large chunks of time delay, that's the canon pinon.

JC

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk