Watch Size and your thoughts?

Been investigating watch sizes. A friend asked about a watch that is 24.5 width and 31.5 lug to lug. From the 1930's. I advised during that time period men's watches were smaller than today. My opinion is its a men's watch - case reads Wadsworth 10/0. I think  a Gruen withh sub seconds hand (which I have rarely seen on smaller women's watches).

Thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,

Gary

IMG_0296[1].JPGMy navigator is about that size and isn't classed as a women's watch but in todays market it probably would be.Also I think from the late 30's through the 40's any kind of metal was in high demand at that point during the war effort and so reflected on watch making also less metal smaller watch.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gary said:

Been investigating watch sizes. A friend asked about a watch that is 24.5 width and 31.5 lug to lug. From the 1930's. I advised during that time period men's watches were smaller than today. My opinion is its a men's watch - case reads Wadsworth 10/0. I think  a Gruen withh sub seconds hand (which I have rarely seen on smaller women's watches).

Thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,

Gary

Hello,

You're right about sub-secounds on a vintage ladies timepiece--I've never seen that. The size at 24.5mm is small even by vintage standards, so it could be a boys watch. My opinion is that a man's watch probably doesn't look right smaller than 32mm, and since I don't like that "clown-size" trend on many modern watches, nothing larger than 40-42mm. 

JC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noirrac1j said:

My opinion is that a man's watch probably doesn't look right smaller than 32mm, and since I don't like that "clown-size" trend on many modern watches, nothing larger than 40-42mm. 

I saw a 60mm Invicta, had about a pound of 316L stainless, probably would scrap for a few $$, :biggrin: 

(clown size) good one!

I have small wrist so anything bigger than 30-40mm looks awkward, I like the older, smaller rectangular case designs from the 40's and 50's, they just look better on my wrist. I have a few Bulova 23j autos that are about 32mm, but that's about the smallest I can wear. I suppose it boils down to comfort.

1 hour ago, WileyDave said:

I have small wrist so anything bigger than 30-40mm looks awkward, I like the older, smaller rectangular case designs from the 40's and 50's, they just look better on my wrist. I have a few Bulova 23j autos that are about 32mm, but that's about the smallest I can wear. I suppose it boils down to comfort.

I too like the smaller rectangular (some are just 22-22) and cushion cases. My old GMT II took some time getting used to it it felt like a big weight. I don't have large wrist. I do think the 24.5 x 31.5 is a man's. My favorite military style Marvin is just at 30. I think.

Thanks guys! Actually this thread could be interesting. But I guess it boils down to comfort and the timepiece.

3 hours ago, WileyDave said:

I saw a 60mm Invicta, had about a pound of 316L stainless, probably would scrap for a few $$, :biggrin: 

(clown size) good one!

Invicta watches are ridiculous....not that they aren't interesting designs or anything, but they are truly behemoths! It's like wearing a small wallclock on your wrist.

Yeah, big watches are not that appealing from my point of view either and Invicta takes the cake!

Although, to be fair, (not to take their side though) they also have a line of "traditional" sizes, that and their "partnership" with Seiko, you could get a good value...or a tinkering alternative.

Most of their "mid" sizes (40mm) use the NH35 movement...others bigger and smaller if they say quartz it is usually some cheapo Seiko PC21 or v657 type. Their "Swiss" line is usually ISA (or maybe Ronda?)...I don't remember seeing any ETA in them...at least lately.

Just now, noirrac1j said:

Looks like a man's watch. The sub second hand isn't seen in ladies watches of this period.

JC

Hey JC,

I agree. Although it is small. Just seeing what everyone things.

Yep looks manly to me its not pretty enough for a women's either from that time period 1930's a women's watch usually had a single bracelet type band. I have seen some women's watches with sub second dials though from the 30's

• Like 1

Hi JC!

you don't sleep either! Lol

I will wear it! I wear my great great grandmother's little Elgin and little thin band that I inherited! Most of the time it ends up being a conversation piece and it keeps great time. But if the lighting is low I can't wait read the time? LOL

1 minute ago, Gary said:

Hi JC!

you don't sleep either! Lol

I will wear it! I wear my great great grandmother's little Elgin and little thin band that I inherited! Most of the time it ends up being a conversation piece and it keeps great time. But if the lighting is low I can't wait read the time? LOL

Hey Gary! No, I don't sleep. I am processing some brain images for a publication submission, but I leave my computer on when I want to take a break and let my own brain idle a bit!

Its a beautiful vintage watch and you could wear it on a single-piece wide band strap--like a vintage one piece or bund-style. That would give it a little more presence on the wrist. 

JC

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:41 AM, noirrac1j said:

I leave my computer on when I want to take a break and let my own brain idle a bit!

Hi Joe, just the way I do...or similar if you will: I leave my mind on when I want to take a break and the computer idling! A blank mind is very boring!!! :D

Cheers,

Bob

4 hours ago, bobm12 said:

Hi Joe, just the way I do...or similar if you will: I leave my mind on when I want to take a break and the computer idling! A blank mind is very boring!!! :D

Cheers,

Bob

I can totally relate! A blank mind is a dangerous thing! 

J

I noticed when in LA visiting my son that the watch size that was being worn tended towards the enormous.  It is of course just personal preference but it seems like a trend.  Some seemed so large as to be bordering on the ridiculous though.  It was not possible to identify most in passing and I suspect there were a lot of Quartz watches and the other thing I noticed was they mostly seemed to be black.  I don't really have any strong opinion about what a person wants to wear.  I remember my son saying my Omega Bumper looked like a ladies watch as it was so small but I personally prefer it to the extra large stuff.

i do have a treasured Quartz Tissot that my mother gave me and which was one of the reasons I ended up in this forum when I had to replace the movement. My largest regularly worn watch is a Glycine Airman SST "Pumpkin"

image.jpegOmega Bumper 2.jpg

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1