Omega 1538: A Dedicated Replica

I've been looking for an Omega as an everyday watch and being a great fan of the quartz wrist watch, because I require great accuracy.

Not having great wealth and the apparent cost of such a watch. For a decent second hand model with paperwork your looking around £1000. Would I be happy wearing it, incase it got scratched! So I decided to build my own.

I didn't fancy attempting to buy a fake of the Internet with a cheap movement. Partly the fear of going to such a site and paying with my card and then having my bank account emptied or the proceeds of the purchase being used in the underworld of crime.

So I started looking for the parts and trying to keep the costs to an acceptable level. Which were as follows :-

Original Seamaster dial: £106

Movement : ETA 255.462 £140

Watch case: £32 (Could not find one with a helium escape valve)

Watch hands £5 (Went for more traditional hands as I don't really like the more sporty hands)

Watch strap: £10

Total cost = £293

See pic below. I've tried to keep it in the spirit of the original

00f6d57382749b1849915cb90f0f5449.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like it at the fraction of the cost and will keep good time too any normal person would say that's a nice omega your wearing now give it here or i'll hit you with a brick, whereas the omega community will think its against all that is holy to the gods off omega. But who cares there's often too much fuss made over high end watches and if your not going to try and sell it what's the problem.

• Like 1

Minute and hour hands are wrong for something that want to be a divers, and NATO straps give me chills (beside they scratch the caseback).
To be honest I would have passed on the branded dial also.

2 hours ago, digginstony said:

I've worn nato straps for a long time it's either something you love or hate. I've never had any issues with them causing scratches ! Can't see how they can as there is no metal in contact with the watch ? See photo

Seen that on various watches. One had an hardlex caseback which i had to replace.

Hi Tony,

Would that case take, let's say, an ETA 2824? Or it comes for quartz? I have a couple of ETAs looking for a nice comfortable home to live in...i.e. a case! :)

About the NATO strap, I'm not a fan but I don't see anything wrong with them...I've used them on and off without any issues. I like the way you put the whole thing together. Any pictures of the way you fitted the movement? Plastic ring....?

Cheers,

Bob

i think it's awesome. this is much the same as i would do - and , like you tony, not try to pass it off as an original. it seems this might be the only way i'll get my omega - build it from scratch.

i think yours is just right - except for the hands. i mighta gone more traditional diver.

• 6 months later...
Hi Tony,

Would that case take, let's say, an ETA 2824? Or it comes for quartz? I have a couple of ETAs looking for a nice comfortable home to live in...i.e. a case! [emoji4]

About the NATO strap, I'm not a fan but I don't see anything wrong with them...I've used them on and off without any issues. I like the way you put the whole thing together. Any pictures of the way you fitted the movement? Plastic ring....?

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob, I forgot to answer your question in more depth at the time. Partly because I was away in Cyprus at the time and on my return forgot,sorry.
The case was purchased of eBay and advertised as compatible for the eta 2824-2 or the ty 2130. I can't remember the dealer and haven't seen similar case since but sure more will turn up.
I attached the dial to the eta 255.462 which fits the dial feet perfectly. The movement ring fitted to secure movement, dial, to case. The depth of movement was over come with metal movement ring, used as dial spacer, as supplied by Cousins.
08e25bccfe93666700afb7b7ee3a419a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk