Mark you are a legend!!!

I really love Breitling watches but with our weak currency buying a new one is simply out of the question. So after saving I finally managed to buy my first used superocean. After the first day the watch would just stop erratically. So I tried some local watchmakers who refused to touch it. I needed to see if the movement was real (allot of good fakes here) and being worried about the fault, I decided to go online for help. After watching Mikes tutorials I plucked up the courage to buy a case back remover and opened it to see. I saw that the ratchet wheel screw was laying loose in the case. I called Breitling SA to ask what a service would cost. They informed me that they would not work on the watch as it had been opened by me. I replaced the screw but then the stem got stuck! Thinking I was buggered I turned to Mark's tutorials for help (as no one else would help). After half a day of struggling with really cheap tools I am proud to announce the she is purring along beautifully and 100% functional! I am sure it is not advisable to attempt your very first watch repair on a Breitling but not having a choice I had to. Mark I cannot thank you enough! Your videos turned this poor soldiers nightmare into a dream come true.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Johnna said:

I really love Breitling watches but with our weak currency buying a new one is simply out of the question.

Did prices for interesting used watches remained stable in local currency? Probably not, but if they did there you have a way of exploiting the exchange. 

4 minutes ago, Johnna said:

Yes they have stayed pretty stable. But you won't get higher prices locally and selling very few international buyers will trust purchasing out of Africa

All depends by the seller reputation. Build and maintain one and you will have an easy sailing. Remember, 75% of a great trade is made at purchasing. Said from experience.

"  I called Breitling SA to ask what a service would cost. They informed me that they would not work on the watch as it had been opened by me. "

Ridiculous, non sensical business practice. Yes it is concerning if someone unqualified opens a Breitling or similar watch, and it should void any warranties, but it should not disqualify it from ever being repaired. What on earth is that all about? If they think you might have done something damaging to it, they should offer to fix it as part of a service, not give you the cold shoulder. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 2