Success! Removing rusted dial screw

I recently acquired a Waltham 0/size 1907 grade 165 pocket watch. When attempting to remove the dial, one of the 3 dial screws was rusted firm in place. In order to get this stubborn screw out I purchased some Hoppes #9 Gun Bore Cleaner from amazon. I used a small glass dropper to carefully apply some solution to the screw from 2 directions. I placed some directly into the screw hole on the side of the plate, and I also applied some directly to the dial foot visible from the plate. I was a bit concerned about potential damage to the keyless and motion work since they were both still in place beneath the dial.

I needed to reapply the solution for each of 2 days. So after a full 48 hour soak, I was able to very easily remove the screw with a normal screwdriver.

Thankfully there was no damage to the other components of the watch. I immediately disassembled the remaining components and ran them through the ultrasonic to remove the solution. I still recommend caution using this solution with other types of metals....

Hope this helps someone else!

hoppes.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting - it has a pretty distinctive odor - and now that you point it out I do believe there's quite a distinct "nose" of kerosene  :)

Any thoughts on potential watch damage based on this list???

i'm not sure if there is anyting to worry about if the solution is rinsed as soon as possible.  Hoppe's is used on gun parts and they are generally "naked". if it's safe for guns, i wouldn't be too concerned.

• Like 2