Darn Screws

Yep, they said it would happen if you didn't use the tweezers correctly, and they were right. Today I was reassembling a pocket watch and when I tried to wrestle the smallest screw I've ever seen (jewel retaining screw as per the attached photo) in my life back into its home, it flew across the room and landed somewhere in the deeps of the shag carpet. I'm going to Lee Valley tomorrow to buy a 150 pound magnet (nope, the magnet only weighs about 10 pounds, but it can lift 150 pounds - hopefully it will manage to lift the world's smallest screw). But, I don't really expect success in finding it, which leads me to my question of how does one go about building up a selection of fasteners for such an occasion?

I perused suppliers websites and they don't really sell selections of screws, only specific things like case screws, etc. I realize that after a few years of working on watches, there'll be loads of spare parts accumulating from the unrepairables, but for a rookie like me, that's not an option - yet!

And on the subject of screws and fasteners, did the industry standardize on threads? For example are all Swiss movements standard, albeit small, metric? How about the great American pocket watch manufacturers of yesteryear, did they use standard imperial threads or were the threads specific to the manufacturer? I imagine now that the watch movement world has gone over completely to metric, which makes sense, but is that actually the case?

Actually, as a suggestion, it would be really nice, and worth at least one beer, if someone knowledgeable would write up a little overview on fasteners, especially screws, what to do if a screw is lost, how to remove a broken screw, how to repair a damaged thread, etc. Actually, that's at least two beers worth of work.

The weather's lovely at the moment in Edmonton, and the good folks from Fort McMurray are finally being allowed to move back in after almost a month - it's a good start to June.P5293607.JPG 

• Like 1

To better pick up screws you can get sheets of rubber magnets. Another thing is one of those magnetic knife racks...but wrap in white paper first to make it easier to spot your part.

Finally get rid of the shag carpet....if you drop something nonferrous your screwed.

Anil

• Like 2

I remember one year ago when started tinkering with watch movements had to find the incabloc spring three times in the carpet :) That poor cheap chinese guy survived all my noob attempts and still working. I wish You luck to find it!

• Like 1

I think there's about 50 springs etc hiding in my carpet. I now do my watch work in a different room that has laminate flooring, alot easier to find things. I also use a magnet and my 16 year old sons eyes god knows what I'll do when he leaves home :startle:

• Like 1

In this profession expect to spend plenty of your time sweeping and searching the floor, looking in clothing and God knows where for flying parts, some turn up right away others in a few weeks and some never. :D

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 2

once you aquire the "tweezer skills",  i will not be a problem.   i suggest having a small basket very close to the movement.   it takes time and  training.  i hope you can buy some jewel screws (get a couple extra).  good luck,  vinn

An alternative to the magnet is a vacuum cleaner with a cotton hankie over the end as a filter. Has worked for me in the past.

I once spent 2 hours searching the floor for a screw which had dropped into an invisible crevice inside a chrono movement, so always worth a look there!

There is some fun in the research in learning all about broken screws etc.  You will find all sorts of other useful info on the way if you do your own searches. You will also learn that there are often many different descriptions for the same threads just to confuse you. If you can find miniature taps they are usually VERY expensive, but you occasionally see hardened plates for recutting threads on eBay.

Good luck!

S

I feel your pain, we have all been there searching for that one screw/click/arbour/shockspring( you get the point ). Whilst practice with tweezers is something acquired with time it is more important that the said tweezers are in a good state ( or simply put, sharp , no, infact very sharp :) ). From my experience sharp, well maintained tweezers can save at least 50% of the " omg im flying mum look at me weeeeeeeeeeee " scenario.

As a personal tip, when dealing with very small screws or shock springs, i use a silicone tip stick to pick up the parts rather than tweezers, simple tool but with good practices in disassembly/assembly you reduce the odds greatly :)  ( not always though.........damn you pesky inca springs :chainsaw: )

MrBeat

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scouseget said:

Actually, as a suggestion, it would be really nice, and worth at least one beer, if someone knowledgeable would write up a little overview on fasteners, especially screws, what to do if a screw is lost, how to remove a broken screw, how to repair a damaged thread, etc. Actually, that's at least two beers worth of work.

Scouseget, I don't know about other US pocket watch mfg, but Dueber-Hampden listed their screws by part number, I have never tried to use a Waltham screw in a Hampden, so I can't say they are interchangeable, I don't think there was a "standard",(or metric) since TPI or threads per inch were nearly impossible to measure with screw that has about 5 threads (or less) on it, and about a mm long! Not sure about Swiss. Broken or rusty screws I have removed VERY CAREFULLY with pivot drill, I do not recommend this, just worked for me. A trick I learned years ago, if you have carpet around your work area, you can tap a pliers or other small hand tool around and screws or other small objects will bounce. Hope that helps, p.s Labatt Blue is my preferred brand, can't stand domestic US brew!:biggrin:

A strong neodymium magnet works well- just make sure you don't pluck the parts off the magnet with steel tweezers!  I use one taken from an old SCSI hard drive (they're pretty big) and have had good luck recovering most of the bits provided I hear where they land.

You'll certainly want to pick up a de-magnitizer at the same time if you don't already have one.

I do like the idea of the silicone tip stick for picking up small parts.  I'm going to have to look into that.  ^_^

had the same carpet problem till i fitted laminate flooring haven't lost a click spring since, don't seem to have a problem losing screws but when i come across a movement which looks like it has been worked on with an axe i like to replace damaged screws etc. so the movement looks nicer when finished, i get them from watchpartsforapound.com. i find its ok to get selection boxes but they never seem to be the right length, head diameter or thread so i prefer to get the right bit