Tissot 2031

Hello there,

Can anyone advise me how to remove the stem from a Tissot 2031.  I can not see an obvious screw or push button or plate.  I just recently picked this up and need to empty the casing for some TLC.  Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Vichpost-197-0-99369200-1400009283_thumb.jpg 

Again, its been a very long time so I could be wrong but I am not sure thats a real screw I think the setting lever  is held under tension by the gold cover plate. It's a shame I don't have one here to confirm.

If I am wrong then I humbly apologise :)

Blacklab, It was indeed a setting lever screw and I confirmed it by finding the technical manual on line.  It is minute and I had to hone my smallest driver down to just about a knife edge.  No more than 2.5 turns or you damage the train wheel bridgepost-197-0-10422100-1400158759_thumb.jpgpost-197-0-38694500-1400158762_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is not much bigger than the end of the stem !  I will post the info I found in case it helps someone else.

Thanks to all !

Now I have to get some really bad scratches out of the glass and buff out a ding on the case - such fun

Cheers, Vich

• Like 2

Just thought I would post the next stage.  The watch had a nasty ding and the face was badly and deeply scratched.  Mineral glass so the Dremel had to come out and the cutting pastes etc. but here id the before and after - not too bad for my first attempt.

post-197-0-78049600-1400432029_thumb.jpgpost-197-0-73787000-1400432028_thumb.jpg

Thought I would round this one off.  I bought the watch for spares or repair as the minute hands "were not working".  It transpired that they were actually working but to accomplish that task you had to press in the crown for 5 seconds then release and hold it in then off they whiz.

It turned out to be a Tissot Seastar Quartz, Tissot Le Locle with Caliber 2031 movement badged as 22265 which makes it 1980.  It also came with original tag and box.  I cleaned it up and after taking it apart because I clumsily popped the stem retainer ,  it is working nicely.  There is a bit of patina on the face but nothing really bad and having rubbed out the ding and scratches it is not too shabby so I might get a little return on it but mainly I learned a little along the way so it was fun.  All the parts are still original as well.

post-197-0-27089900-1400519759_thumb.jpgpost-197-0-01253000-1400519758_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm currently trying to get the stem back in one of these movements.  I've tried pushing down on the end nearest the screw and prising up on the opposite end.  No joy.  Any tips would be appreciated.

As this is my first post, I rekon an introduction is in order.  I'm a hobbyist living in Florida, USA and have been learning about and working on watches (primarily quartz) for a little over a year.  I've enjoyed several of Mark's YT videos, but was unaware of the forums until searching for 2031 help.

My interest in watch repair began last year when I opened my great-grandfather's Burlington Special (Illinois) pocket watch.  The hands are a bit rusty and the dial is very chipped.  Therefore, I assumed the movement would be in bad shape as well.  I was wrong.  I was able to let down the main spring, warmed it up a bit and was able to get it running intermitently.  It will be 100 years-old this year.  I thought it would be really "special" if I were able to get it working this year.  While I think a cleaning and oiling will suffice and 2015 is young, that's beyond my skill and tool set.  So, perhaps I'll getting running when it's 101.

Best regards,

Doug

Please ignore that last posting, it's late and I am a bit dozy so I came in at your posting instead of the thread start. Back then I didn't have any bother getting the stem back in but if you have undone that small screw too far That could be the problem.

Cheers,

Vic

Welcome Doug.

You've unscrewed it too far if you then have trouble with the keyless works doing what it should do and/or you can't seem to tighten it back the way it was! No other indication I believe.

Cheers,

Bob

Welcome duhgluss

I think Bob has identified the issue. If you have unscrewed to much the setting lever has become detached. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to remove the movement from the case, remove hands & dial to access the keyless works to see the issue & if our diagnosis is correct re-attach the lever & re-assemble.

Hello Duhgluss,

When I saw you had unscrewed it 3 turns my heart sank as, just like George, I agree with our Bob and Clockboy.

There is always a chance we are wrong but basically parts will probably have dropped out of position on the dial side and are fouling the pathway for the stem and you can't resolve without dial removal.

You will need to take off the hands after protecting the dial with a thin bit of plastic or paper cut to fit under the hands on top of the dial which means you would need the tools to release the dial (normally held on by two screws that hold on to two prongs on the dial back), Presto hand puller or the like and presser to put them back on plus appropriately sized screwdrivers (not too big or small). You will get everything but the screwdriver for about £6.00 if you get the cheaper Indian or Chinese makes.

There is a load of stuff on the tube about the process involved and our Mark has covered it in general on some of his videos. 

This was the second watch I ever worked on and it was quite easy so its up to you but I would give it a try, just make sure to take pics every time before and after you remove something.

Here is some info that may help.

4256_Tissot 2031,2037.pdf

Tissot 2031 Manual.pdf

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

I may have to resort to getting under the dial*, but before I do here's another clue and more questions.  I moved the setting lever to another position and was then able to re-insert the stem.  Nevertheless, only the hour hand was adjustable--the crown/stem wouldn't push in to operate the minutes/seconds.  So, does it matter from which position I *removed* the stem?  May the stem be removed from more than one position?  Or is this another indication I need to get under the dial?

* My statement regarding lacking the skills and tools to clean and oil the pocket watch may have been misleading.  I have successfully removed and replaced several quartz movements over the past year.  I've even managed to strip a couple down and get them working again.  So, I have *some* skills and most tools necessary for that type of work.

Vic, thanks for the documents.

All, thanks for the assistance.  I appreciate it.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug what ever is wrong with this watch the only way to really find the fault is to at least remove movement from it's case & then remove the dial. If you are not comfortable with this then the only other option will be to take it to a watch repairer.

Edited by clockboy

Hello Doug,

In very general terms stems for  the watches with a screw to undo usually fit back in with a slight "wiggle" to locate them, then you tighten up the screw again, as I recall this was the case for me, unless I was just lucky, I have only stripped down one of these and these days I have difficulty remembering stuff from six weeks ago never mind a year. 

If something is blocking the passage (if you excuse the expression) it may be the setting lever assembly needs shifting / lifting, to allow it through, I would check how far it goes in before stopping to get a rough idea of where the problem is  but be careful. In all honesty like Clockboy intimates, most of us would have had it to bits to check it out and then we may have found it was unnecessary when we got a good look but it just adds to the knowledge. 

That sounds a bit blasé when I read it back I do however, remember how nerve racking it can be and would still even now hesitate to service my prized Glycine myself.

All I can say is good luck but keep us informed on how things are going as its murder not knowing the end of a story.

Cheers,

Vic

• Similar Content