trouble with my lanco

a couple of months ago i won a lanco on ebay. i liked it because it was a nice size it was in great shape. it was bought as a nonrunner. when i got it, i opened it up and realized that the movement is a tissot 2481 auto. i didn't know that lancos were tissots in disguise. i haven't worked on one yet and i'm wondering how easy it might be to service. has anyone worked on one?

also, i noticed that the escape does not have the tiny screw adjuster on it. i can't figure out why it would be missing, but it might have something to do with the fact that it doesn't run.

another thing; when i turn the crown, it must not be long enough because it sets the time. i can't push the crown in deep enough to wind it. someone cut the stem too short.

so far i need; a new stem and a complete balance assembly.

one more thing; when i turn the crown and the watch sets, only the hour hand moves. i haven't run into this type of issue before. what is broken inside to allow that to happen?

i'll probably look for a spare movement and cannibalize it.

Hi Ramrod,

Your Lanco is in good company.The Tissot 2481 is also used in Omega watches..here its called the 1481.

Not sure what you mean by screw adjuster for the escape.. are you talking about the rate adjuster on the balance cock? This usually gets messed up when people try to undo it.

Your problems with the crown are probably related to the setting works being faulty. The fact that the hour hand moves but not the minute hand could be related to this or you may be missing a few teeth somewhere.

You need to open up the dial side at the very least.

Some pics would be nice.

Anilv

• Like 1

Very nice and simple movements to work on. Take it all apart and find out what is wrong. Not all of these movements have the small stud and tiny screw to hold the balance and hairspring to the cock. Some have a top down screw type which you turn to open and the stud and hairspring slide out. Just be careful when removing the oscillating weight clip not to bend it as this will cause the weight to flop about when put back and could rub on the inside of the back case.

anilv is also right with his good advice. 

I have just repaired a Tissot 2481 with a similar problem. The crown in any position would just alter the time. I found that the clutch lever (I think that's the right part name, I'm still learning) had popped out of the pinion which was sat in the setting position. I just had to reassemble the keyless works and it's fine. 

I didn't take any other pictures but you can see here the lever out of place. 

Joe. 

image.jpeg

i tried to post some pictures yesterday, but for some reason they didn't come up.

anilv, yes, i did mean the screw adjuster on the balance cock. i get the term "escape" stuck in my head. here you can see there is a hole where it used to be in the picture.

guys! excellent help! thank you very much for the help. the first think i'll look for is the clutch lever that joe mentioned.

oldhippy: those clips are a bit fiddly. i haven't perfected a method to take them off. it's trial and error - hopefully with not so much error. but, i haven't bent one yet.

Happy to help! Looking forward to seeing what you find. More pics please :thumbsu:

Out of interest, is your movement signed? Mine has a medallion ( again I think that's what it's called) with make and serial number written in a small circle on top of the movement. The rotor is hiding it on your picture. 

Hi Ramrod,

From what I can recall, the rate adjuster extends back to the cock and surrounds the 'eccentric' screw. The slot in the screwhead references the + and (-).

Possibly the rate adjuster may have been modified or swapped out.\

Anil

i believe you're right, anilv. i'm probably going to just buy a used, complete balance anyway. plus i need a wheel. notice on my pic above. the wheel nearest the click is missing a tooth.