Hi All!

i purchased a lot of watch parts and mainsprings from an estate. Is there anyway to identify parts, mainly mainsprings that have fallen out of packaging? I have them in various forms and some clock mainsprings? I don't or will not use them.

i am attaching a photo of two. I have several of these and smaller ones that are probably for women's movements? I also have several stems and they are marked in a bag like 615 or a three digit number?

thoughts or direction are always appreciated! 

Gary

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First to add to the confusion mainsprings are interesting because of how their measured. Typically the numbers represent the width, thickness and the length. Watchmakers are creative they used what they had available so we typically end up with a variety of measurements.  So basically this means is a lot of confusing numbers on a package of mainsprings depending upon when it was packaged and it and where. So modern conceivably is all metric. American watch companies typically are inches and Dennison and metric. Meaning that the width and thickness conceivably could be any of the three measurements with the length usually in inches.

The watch Springs that fell out of the packages do you have the packages? Having packages with numbers means you can compare those to the spring versus springs with nothing. The springs in the metal rings will probably have to be removed to identify them. Right now all you can measure is the width perhaps the thickness of the spring and nothing for the length unless you remove it from the ring.

Your second photograph shows an Elgin mainspring If you look carefully in the background is the ghost the word Elgin. So working bottom to top the bottom number is the thickness in inches. The next number 8/0 is the diameter the movement or the size of the watch. I will skip over the 6002 because I'm only looking right now at the package before I go look at reference material so you what it means. Then the next line the DP is the type of end and there is the abbreviation for mainspring. The rest of the numbers I needed to go to a reference. Reference image attached the 6002 is the part number of the mainspring for a 532 watch. I'm also giving a link for find the Elgin parts. If you enter in 532 it will take you to the page where it tells you the mainspring is 6002 notice it does not tell you the thickness? This is why typically when changing mainsprings I always measure the spring just to make sure you get the right replacement hoping that whoever replaced it before you use the right spring.

Then not exactly an answer to the question but for those people who like confusing things a interesting article on mainspring gauges

http://www.nawcc-index.net/Articles/Watkins-MainspringGauges.pdf

Interesting link with converting the various measurements and bonus formulas at the bottom for figuring out mainspring length.

http://www.dashto.org/images/msChart1.jpg

Reference location for looking up Elgin part numbers

http://www.elginwatchparts.com/

confusing Elgin numbers.JPG

• Like 2

Johnr725

thenk you for the response. Most of the loose mainsprings I can only assume the came from some empty generic envelopes. Some are from clocks, and some are larger which I'm assuming are pocket watches? I will go through the theme one day and measure and catalogue. 

Thank you again! 

Gary