Removing Pressure Backs With No Notch

I'm getting good at doing basic "cosmetic" repairs to watches however when it comes to opening pressure back watches some -such as Omega Constellations (pictured below) - don't have any notches. How are these opened? Will the pictured Horotec tool do the job?

Omega 1120 (8) 1000.jpg

Horo.jpg

No I have one of these tools and it's for removing bezels. You can try it but it's like to cause damage. It's good for removing snap backs where there is a recess opposite the crown on the older style watches. Chances are you will need to pull the crown from the watch and blow the crystal out. See Marks excellent video on how to do this. Or if the watch is fitted with an arcrylic crystal, try using a grab crystal removing tool.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I did one yesterday.  

You will need a case knife that has the blade ground on one side only and flat on the other.  Place a piece of polythene over the back of the watch, then place the flat side of the knife on the polythene covering the body of the case and very firmly, but carefully force the knife into the joint between the case and snap on back.  The knife will cut through the polythene at the joint in the process, but the polythene prevent the flat side of the blade marking the case.

Proceed with the knife method with extreme caution. If you slip, the likely outcome will be damage to the watch back or to your hand. Gloves are a must. Also remember if the case maker has not provided a recess to place a case opener knife. It's unlikely the case back was designed to be removed this way.

On 5/29/2016 at 8:13 PM, digginstony said:

Also remember if the case maker has not provided a recess to place a case opener knife. It's unlikely the case back was designed to be removed this way.

Some watches are just like that. I had a CK that I could not open, brought to a jeweller and he could. Then he failed to replace the battery and told me the watch wasn't working :blink:. Closing it was a pain too. 

Bench opening tool:

c9865_pic1_cmyk_m400.jpg

Tool looks good for the job as it appears to have a lever action with it once you've got the blade in. The Horotech hasn't got the Lever action. It will release a case back but can distort the back, if you screw in to hard, I think.

Have a very close look with a loupe at the joint where the last two serial numbers are, you may find the notch that you are looking for.  Remember it will possibly be full of detritus.

I have both the tools illustrated in the this post, but would still recommend the method I mentioned earlier.

• Like 1