Favorite staking set question

blackjet

Hi,

I've just bought a second hand Favorite staking set and have found that the pin vice doesn't fit into the staking tool bore. This appears to be due to a small pin partway up the shank of the pin vice being about 0.1mm proud of the surface. Now, being a bit new to this I assume that the pin vice is for holding reamers and the such like and having the reamer about an inch above any workpiece isn't too useful. I thought I'd have a check here before I remove the proud part of the pin that the problem I have is actually a problem. I assume that the pin is to hold some part of the internal mechanism of the pin vice and not a design feature.

Anyway, does anyone else have a favorite staking set and can they confirm that the pin vice fits all the way down the bore?

TIA

• Like 1

Yes, I went for this set as it has the jewelling feature. The lever comes off if you want to work without it. I've just seen that Mark has used this set in one of his videos and it does appear that when he used the pin vice it fits all he way as you'd expect. I think I'll adjust the pin...

This pin is for preventing the conical collet from rotating while fixing the reamer with the drowbar. This system is identical to the one seen in watchmakers lathe. You should push this pin inside to get it flush with outer shank surface. The pin must protrude inside of the shank in order to fix the collet. You should have a couple of collets of different diameters in ths set.

Zbigniew

Ah, Thanks for the information. I thought the pin was for some purpose like that but it's nice to have confirmation. I've taken what was probably 0.01mm off the pin on the outside and all is well now. Yes, I do have a few collets. One more than I have holes for collets, actually, so one of them is an extra I think.