Donald De Carle's "practical Watch Repairing"

I was browsing in Worthing this morning, while waiting for my Unitas case cover to get unprised from the rest of the watch, and popped into a second-hand bookshop.

"Do you have a section on clocks and watches?" says I.

"Oh yes", says the very helpful girl behind the counter, "through the arch, bookcase on your right, second shelf down."

And there indeed was a feast of books, including Donald de Carle's classic. The edition I bought was the 3rd impression from 1947 - in excellent condition. The book, of course, was originally published in parts in the Horological Journal between 1943 and 1945, with the first full printing in 1946. So my copy also contains several full-page adverts from the period - mainly wartime - of watches for sale, watch shops, jewellers, horologists, etc. A real feast of fun from a particular period in time. I've known about the book for ages, but have never actually read it.

So I'm settling down in the armchair this evening, reveling in the diagrams, the advice, the drawings, the methodologies. Great book! All for £9.50.

I also got a nice copy of "The Pocket Watch Handbook" (1985) by Maxwell Cutmore, a retired Naval engineer - another treasure trove.

As luck would have it, I was reading a chapter which contained information on how to open up case backs. In relation to screw backs that won't come off, he writes:

"... lay the watch flat on the palm of the left hand glass down, place the palm of the right hand on the back and, with firm even pressure, apply an unscrewing motion with both hands. This usually moves the tightest screw."

So there you are. If I'd known that, I might not have had to nip down to Worthing to have the back of my Unitas watch. But - if I hadn't gone down to Worthing, I wouldn't have found a copy of de Carle's book in a second-hand bookshop!

Swings and roundabouts... :D

Was cleaning out my garage yesterday - getting ready for my big move back to Cowbit and I found my copy of de Carles Practical Watch Adjusting. This is a great book for anyone wishing to time/spring a watch.

• Like 1

Cowbit's near Spalding, as I recall. Any particular reason for the move - bigger or better workshop area perhaps?

Yes - we are in temporary rented accommodation due to my kids schooling - we wanted to be near the school - they finish this summer and will be going to college so.... We will be moving back to our property in Cowbit in July which will indeed give me more space for my workshop which is going to be great, but will also give me two huge lawns to maintain which will be less than great (I hate gardening).

Was down there on Saturday fixing the ceiling joists in my new workshop - back on Wednesday to finish that job, hard work but good exercise :)

I keep trolling my usual used book stores in the area.....  So far no luck, best I could find was some sort of "Fashion" watch book  :angry:.

Keep looking - you never know what will turn up.

Back when I got started this was the first book I purchased on the subject - a good find. Cost me about 50p from my local lending library when they were having a clear-out.

post-1-0-14079700-1400504203_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-43320300-1400504207_thumb.jpg

Edit: Just seen it on Amazon for £10 - that's a hike!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000CMKZQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0000CMKZQ&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwwatchservi-21

Yes - we are in temporary rented accommodation due to my kids schooling - we wanted to be near the school - they finish this summer and will be going to college so.... We will be moving back to our property in Cowbit in July which will indeed give me more space for my workshop which is going to be great, but will also give me two huge lawns to maintain which will be less than great (I hate gardening).

Was down there on Saturday fixing the ceiling joists in my new workshop - back on Wednesday to finish that job, hard work but good exercise :)

Ah - good luck with the move - now I know why the Martin's in storage... ;)

Ah - good luck with the move - now I know why the Martin's in storage... ;)

Cheers Will.

The other added benefit - I can get my guitar out as you say. I miss that 'ol bugger! I miss my bass too. This place is much smaller (the sacrifice for the kids) and so my wife limits me to one instrument out and that has to be my piano because I love to tinkle before I start work :D