ETA 2761 Service

To gain more experience I will now reassemble an ETA 2671 movement. This movement is taken from the watch of my wife a couple of months ago, and I screwed it up: destroyed the hairspring and also destroyed the spring click (434), which is a very delicate part. Very different from other movements I saw before.

The watch of my wife came back to life after I bought a used entire 2671 and just replaced it. Now I have all the spares, and want to reassemble it.

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

The pictures were taken before I learned how to do that. The new ones will be much better.

Here are not too many pictures of the disassembly. I will post all stages of assembly here, so that anyone who needs to service a 2761 can see the reverse disassembly order.

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3626.JPG

• Like 1

Today I cleaned all the parts and worked on the assembly of one single part to the plate 1.5h!

IMG_3633.JPG

When trying to fix the incabloc on the dial side after cleaning I managed to remove the incabloc spring!

After looking for minutes at the plate and different attempts to reinsert the spring, crawling on the floor to find the spring, the solution dawned to me:

The spring must be put in place as shown on the picture.

Then I gently pushed the spring towards the rim.

I pushed the pivot very gently from the top, using the tweezers, thereby erecting the spring.

Support the spring with a pegwood and even more gently pushing beyond 90°

It took me countless attempts. After I got it, I gently inserted the incabloc and ... gone was the spring.

I then inserted the incabloc and did another several attempts, until it eventually worked out.

Any comments?

Cheers Alexander

Thank you @bobm12!

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

Had a couple of minutes and assembled the keyless work. Luckily I have the ETA manual that is pretty detailed regarding lubrication as well as the phases of assembly.

The only mistake I made was that I tried to stem and wheels after I installed all the levers. Should have done this in the opposite order. Hence I had to remove the setting lever jumper again, realign everything and place it once more. Was a bit scared that the yoke spring would decide to fly away. But all is in place now and all levers jump into their position as expected. 

BTW pretty cool mechanism. The movements I was working on earlier had only two crown positions.

The stem is in a pretty bad shape. But leave it as is. Since I have no watch for the movement that's fine.

IMG_3637.JPG

Cheers Alexander

• Like 1

Here we go. Pretty straight forward. Unfortunately I lost the stop lever:

IMG_3626a.JPG

I assume it is the second stop but I'm not sure. Anyway. The part is missing and I went on without it.

Inserting the click spring took me some time. Luckily I found a description in the manual of how to do that. Pretty awkward system and very fragile. Some months ago I killed one and I got a spare part from my local watchmaker.

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

Some more pictures as I went on:

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

Mounting the pallet fork was also very difficult and took some time. But now everything is in place and after winding the movement the balance started. Very nice.

Cheers Alexander

Very nice Alexander and good judgement call. Any chance of getting the missing part? Not that it seems an essential item but with the nice job you did, it would kind of make it thorough/complete. Much more rewarding!

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you Bob,

well I looked around everywhere and also looked whether Cousins has the spare part. To no avail. I'll have to live with that.

I am also not too impressed with the results on the timegrapher. But the goal for the time being is to gain experience also when it comes to the practical skills. I can see a lot of improvement here. Things go easier and I didn't destroy a hairspring for weeks now B) . I have to admit that I destroyed quite a couple.

I will finish this one (dial side w/ date mechanism missing) and move on from there with an ETA 2472 which I bought for very little money on ebay. I wonder if it makes sense to post that here since there seems to be little interest in these posts. I will for sure start a thread when I start working on the Valjoux 7734. I also assume that I need some help here.

Cheers Alexander

OK, as I said, I wasn't too impressed by the results on the timegrapher. This was the reason:

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

I brought the hairspring back in place (have to admit that I don't know the name of the part where it jumped out).

Now the graph is much better and clean. 

BUT: the best I can adjust it to is -40s/d! Any hints? 

Additional information: I had to replace the balance / hairspring / cock assembly. Is it possible that the replacement I got is not working properly?

Cheers Alexander

Hi Alexander,

I think it is the position of the hairspring between the regulator pins (that's the part's name if I'm not mistaken). The hairspring should be right in the center without touching any of the pins. Also, it should be level, i.e. pushed all the way up but in the same plane as the rest of the hairspring...I don't know if I'm giving you the right image (or explaining it in a clear way). Make sure the hairspring doesn't touch anything anywhere it shouldn't. Maybe the regulator pins need opening? I wouldn't mess with that unless it is a last resource. To make the hairspring center between them, they are rotated from the top.

BTW, do post the next movement ETA 2472, I'm interested! :) Actually, many people see the walkthrough and the other posts but don't (or can't) contribute anything of value (or at least they think so) so it seems there is no interest on the post when in reality it is very much useful...even one person that can derive some knowledge of a post is great! Your posts are very, very good and the detail and quality of the pictures make them unique. MHO.

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you Bob for your encouraging words. 

As I wrote above, the Balance / hairspring / cock  was already a used part. It might as well be the case that it doesn't fit perfectly to that watch. I live with that now. I also don't know if it was due to my lack of skills or due to the fact, that the hairspring / balance was in a bad condition when I got it. But the movement helped me to gain more experience.

I now finished assembly of this movement.

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3658.JPG

The quick date setting does work but since the spare movement I bought came without an hour wheel, I don't have it available. Hence I wasn't able to fully test the date setting mechanism.

I keep it for spare parts since my wife owns a watch with this movement (the one where I took this one from and where I added a new movement).

Bob, I will start a thread on the 2472 soon.

Cheers Alexander

• 3 years later...