This project was put to the side quite some time ago because I just couldn't get this movement to work again.  At the time, the problem wasn't even making sense to me plus my true passion was towards the pure mechanical's so I gave up rather quickly on it.  Well, when I opened her back up yesterday, a little piece of metal fell out, which was somehow encouraging to me;)  I then tried to find a place to put this piece of metal but it didn't look like it would fit nicely anywhere.  So, after 30 minutes of playing around with the switch and learning how it worked, I finally got it to power up by sticking it between the contacts.  I then thought it was missing a part so I searched for a service manual of some kind to no avail.  I then looked up the movement online to locate pictures....EUREKA!  This little part actually went under the battery holder in a slot if you will. (didn't appear that it would fit there and it didn't when just "placing it there")  I then had to finagle it so the contact went behind the pin so when the crown is pulled, the seconds stop. (guess this is "the" hacking mech for this movement)  So, after going through all that and regulating it, she is 1 second slow per day and ticking happily. (my choice, haha)  My question is to you all:  is this movement as easy to service as a pure mechanical?  Honestly, I have no servicing knowledge of these movements other than what has been accomplished.  Having said that, I am positive that this has never been serviced and it's over 40 years old now.  Anyone? ;)

And as I always say: "pics or it didn't happen", LOL;)

NOTICE the pics of the watch movement sitting in my cheapest possible movement holder....check that pin just laying across the movement randomly positioned, lol.  (I tried and finally figured it out; "A" for effort?)  Next time I'll take pics with a less embarrassing holder :D

IMG_20160522_172909095_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160522_151227612_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160522_151135155_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160522_151124515.jpg

IMG_20160522_151105367.jpg

IMG_20160522_135805956_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160522_135734482.jpg

Very nice watch (it's like looking at a travel clock) and movement, so different from the ones of today. But since all parts on a quartz watch turns slowly, I would not worry having it deteriorate if not serviced right away. When something works, there's always a risk messing with it. Really up to you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jdm said:

Very nice watch (it's like looking at a travel clock) and movement, so different from the ones of today. But since all parts on a quartz watch turns slowly, I would not worry having it deteriorate if not serviced right away. When something works, there's always a risk messing with it. Really up to you.

Thanks:)  I am 99.999% sure that this is not a quartz watch though.  If it is, it WILL get the hammer!  (I detest quartz watches, personal hatred towards them)  I would think this is in desperate need of at least oil in the jewel caps along with a cleaning.

Edited by jeffc83

1 minute ago, jeffc83 said:

Thanks:)  I am 99.999% sure that this is not a quartz watch though.  If it is, it WILL get the hammer!  (I detest quartz watches, personal hatred towards them)  I would think this is in desperate need of at least oil in the jewel caps.

Ok, it's electric then. Still turns slowly. We should not hate anything, especially when there's good work and ingenuity behind.

@jdm  Nice way to look at it!  I wish I felt differently but I truly dislike quartz movements. (you're right, I apologize for using that nasty word HATE, was rude)  To me, it's the "cheap" way out of horology but that's just the way I feel about the technology.  Many like it but I refuse to adapt and accept it, never will;)  People have said Rolex made quartz movements and my response to that is "you can only polish a turd so much".  Don't mind me, I'm just in a quartz rant.  Nothing wrong with them but I'm glad I'm not forced to wear them. (I'd have no passion at all for this if that were the case)  Now respect to the ingenuity and idea surrounding it, absolutely 100% agreed....they deserve respect but not my business, lol:D  That's where the Bulova Precisionists come in!!!  End rant, sorry to sidetrack this:/

To service or not to service is the question? ;)

Edited by jeffc83

Alright I've got your point, which is one of common sturdiness one among "purists". So tell me, what's the difference between this electric one and e.g. an early quartz? Have you looked at  quality quartz? The way in which power is saved and precision increased by the mean e.g. of pulsing current? Have you challenged yourself servicing a quartz chronometer? Or looked at the Gotha of quartz regulation, Spring Drive by Seiko. Spend some time learning, promise you won't be disappointed :)

33 minutes ago, jdm said:

Alright I've got your point, which is one of common sturdiness one among "purists". So tell me, what's the difference between this electric one and e.g. an early quartz? Have you looked at  quality quartz? The way in which power is saved and precision increased by the mean e.g. of pulsing current? Have you challenged yourself servicing a quartz chronometer? Or looked at the Gotha of quartz regulation, Spring Drive by Seiko. Spend some time learning, promise you won't be disappointed :)

I love the early quartz controlled watches because it combined two great things:  quartz accuracy and mechanical parts!  Spring drive?  Now that is certainly not a quartz watch, it is literally a piece of art! (I envy that technology)  Surprised you didn't mention Swatch too....they created a really cool mechanical movement that has caused a lot of stir even though it is still mechanical.  See, I don't want to battle you on my opionions and I am certainly not a purist but as everyone is allowed to have in this world (or at least my country), I have the right to feel the way I do and express my opinion.  I am sure there are "very nice" quartz movements out there but they won't be sold to me and it doesn't make me "like" it!  Again, I never said I didn't respect quartz technology, I just dislike how it was incorporated into this world and how it is being implemented in most cases.  I hope you understand that I really came here for advice today and not a battle my friend!  It's quite a shame that I cannot have an opinion here without getting attacked...yes, WITH THE KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED to form that opinion.  (that was EXTREMELY rude of you to say but I will take it with a grain of salt)  

Last time I will ask; Should this movement be serviced after 40+ years?  I would think so but have no knowledge of how to approach it.  Thanks in advance.

I did not wanted to be rude. It's only that I consider cultivating knowledge and constructive criticism will (should) invariably lead to an agnostic view of technological matters. That's just my thinking and just like you did, I've used this occasional venue to manifest it. If you decide to take the watch further apart and post the progress here, I'll be interested to read it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jdm said:

I did not wanted to be rude. It's only that I consider cultivating knowledge and constructive criticism will (should) invariably lead to an agnostic view of technological matters. That's just my thinking and just like you did, I've used this occasional venue to manifest it. If you decide to take the watch further apart and post the progress here, I'll be interested to read it.

Nor did I and if I came across as a "you know what", I apologize.  The technology itself is amazing, I'm just (and openly admit it) way too picky as to what I wear and work on. (maybe I DO hate the tick THAT much, lol)  I'm certain that I will warm up to it one day....as you can see, I already like the quartz controlled balance movements, Bulova Precisionist Quartz and the holy grail "spring drive"!  Who knows, we might end up laughing about this 5 years from now if you aren't already....I can just see it now:  QUOTE JDM -> SEE, I TOLD YOU SO AND HOW LONG AGO WAS THIS?  QUOTE JEFFC83 -> "(nothing to say here)"  :D  No joke, it just might end up there:p

That is a nice movement? Like those old electronic movements . Have a few old Tissots and an Avia with similar movements. The Avia i could acctually time on the Timegrapher as it has a balance and i can see how good or bad it holds the time? 

Go ahead and service it? 

Edited by rogart63

17 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

That is a nice movement? Like those old electronic movements . Have a few old Tissots and an Avia with similar movements. The Avia i could acctually time on the Timegrapher as it has a balance and i can see how good or bad it holds the time? 

Go ahead and service it? 

Thanks, would love to see pics of both one day!  (especially the Tissot, sounds intriguing)  Well put, most of these do work on a timegrapher, this one included.  At first, it looked horrible but I could tell someone messed around in there seeing it was broken AND set to the + as much as possible, lol. (gotta love seeing that)  After regulating, it is down to -1 sec per day to zero....maybe it doesn't need a service?  I know we shouldn't be looking at amplitude with these movements but it was low. (all my other electrics are so I thought that was normal)  

This is driving me crazy now, to service or not to service? ;)  

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Definitely NOT Quartz. This has a jeweled balance wheel with a magnetized plate within the balance wheel itself. With juice from the battery, the balance wheel receives a magnetic impulse from the copper coils just below the balance wheel, and oscillates accordingly. There is no quartz pulsing involved.

JC

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jeffc83 said:

Thanks, would love to see pics of both one day!  (especially the Tissot, sounds intriguing)  Well put, most of these do work on a timegrapher, this one included.  At first, it looked horrible but I could tell someone messed around in there seeing it was broken AND set to the + as much as possible, lol. (gotta love seeing that)  After regulating, it is down to -1 sec per day to zero....maybe it doesn't need a service?  I know we shouldn't be looking at amplitude with these movements but it was low. (all my other electrics are so I thought that was normal)  

This is driving me crazy now, to service or not to service? ;)  

Jeff its not that hard to service these, and although I have not done an ESA 9157, I have done a few 9154 pieces succesfully. They can be fiddly in certain areas but are generally on par with a mechanical watch in terms of technical ability needed and procedures....

JC

Slide2.JPG

Slide1.JPG

Edited by noirrac1j
  • Like 1

@noirrac1j  Are you somehow related to Mark or possibly go to the same school as him? ;)  I'm really starting to wonder if you are a master watchmaker after you have stepped in like this several times with such good info!  Either way, thank you.  If I'm not mistaken, the higher quality version of this caliber is in fact the 9154. (lucky guy, lol)  If I may, what was fiddly?  I know some of these parts can be VERY fiddly depending on many things....heck, the part I put in just doesn't fit by default, you need to bend it, place it, put the terminal/holder over it then place a screw through before it all comes apart:)  Good stuff though, wouldn't trade it for anything!  Pics saved for repair;)

Hello jeff,

Wow thank you for the compliment, but I am not related to Mark..and certainly am not a master watchmaker!

On the topic of this interesting movement. Once the movement is taken apart and cleaned, the assembly isn't too bad with the exception of the gear train bridge. I don't know about the 9157, but the 9154 has those little tiny wire guides:

20160523_165811.jpgIf you place a brass tweezer so that both wires are pinched in between, it is possible to then close onto that little post in between while still holding the wires right where they should. You can then lift the plate, turn it over (the hard part) and place it onto the gears. If this proves too challenging, I also have placed the bridge onto the gears, and then fiddled with the wires from underneath with a pair of tweezers and a fine-tip oiler. It's a hassle but those wires provide tension to the center wheel and the 3rd wheel.

The other thing is the balance has to be poised properly to hit the pallet--ok no surprise there, right? The problem is if you place the balance on the movement without making sure its centered to make contact with the pallet. If you go ahead and place the transistor board back as well as the hack lever/battery contact, you then will have to remove all of those things if the balance is off-sync with the pallet and doesn't start up--whioch has happened to me. And finally, when the stem is pulled out, the hack on the 9154 also serves to set up the balance for the power stroke. In other words, the engagment of the stem causes the release of the hack at the peak of the balance's arc, and so when released the impulse jewel on the balance quickly swings toward the pallet and over the copper coils setting up its momentum to continue beating.  The hack should be engaged when the battery is installed so that when the stem is pushed back in, the movement can be tested.

• Like 2

@noirrac1j Thanks again!  I'll most likely be placing the bridge onto the gears before fiddling with those wire guides.  (does seem a little tricky to get, thanks again for the tips)

Regarding the balance, is there an easy way to ensure that it is centered? (I'm thinking that silver plate would line up like it does in the pics shown)

I'm hoping to dedicate much of the holiday weekend for this, provided life doesn't get in the way;)

@rogart63 I absolutely love that Tissot!  The hands and face truly make it an awesome combo, thanks for sharing.  (I may have to start searching for one of those beauties)  The Avia is nice too but as you might have noticed, I tend to lean towards the unique styles.

51 minutes ago, digginstony said:

My pocket watches are mechanical but over 90% of my wrist watches are quartz. Don't hammer them, send them to me, particularly if ETA. I will give them a good home.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lol, I'm not a moron;) I'll sell off the good quartz watches and I give the others away when people order from me. I was kidding about the Smashing, I've only smashed watches way beyond repair:D

15 hours ago, jeffc83 said:

@noirrac1j Thanks again!  I'll most likely be placing the bridge onto the gears before fiddling with those wire guides.  (does seem a little tricky to get, thanks again for the tips)

Regarding the balance, is there an easy way to ensure that it is centered? (I'm thinking that silver plate would line up like it does in the pics shown)

I'm hoping to dedicate much of the holiday weekend for this, provided life doesn't get in the way;)

@rogart63 I absolutely love that Tissot!  The hands and face truly make it an awesome combo, thanks for sharing.  (I may have to start searching for one of those beauties)  The Avia is nice too but as you might have noticed, I tend to lean towards the unique styles.

You're welcomed. Looking forward to seeing your post.

JC