URIKA with HAMAZAWA 5026B movement

Hello a few months ago I picked a nice Helbros manual wind watch with a movement I hadn't seen before the hamazawa 5026 unfortunately it was missing its stem and setting lever.After checking cousins and other outlets without any luck I laid the watch to one side thinking I'd never find the parts needed. Then a month or so ago while trawling through our friend The watch collectors bay site for a couple of Seiko movements I spotted a set of 4 URIKA zombies with low and behold HAMAZAWA movements I quickly purchased these for a mead 8 quid plus his usually packing and waited not very patiently for them to arrive. One I've used as a donor for my Helbros which now runs beautifully and can be seen in watch of the day the other 3 I intend to bring back to life if possible.  So here is number 1 a URIKA 56 auto 17 jewel 5026B. Oh and please excuse my photography I'm definitely not David Baily

20160521_130621.jpg

As you can see old battered and generally zombiefied.

20160521_130832.jpg

And with the back off we find a none running stuck 5036B movement I don't hold out much hope at this moment.

20160521_131135.jpg

Luckily once the plastic case ring was removed the rotor swang free it was just welded in with the green crud. Note the winding stem very unusual I haven't seen one like it before.

20160521_131233.jpg

Dail side bit crusty but ill just clean the parts the best I can I'm not going to try and find replacements.

20160521_131604.jpg

Calendar side bit better.

20160521_131747.jpg

First job remove the circlip holding the rotor in place.

20160521_131840.jpg

Rotor removed giving me my first idea of how much dirt I have to tackle.

20160521_132114.jpg

As you can see not the most complicated of self winding systems. Just a pivot point and an offset pivot on the rotor.

20160521_132536.jpg

Winding system removed time to remove the bridge and what looks like the balance cock

20160521_132833.jpg

Cock removed note that the balance adjustment lever is attached somehow to the main plate.

20160521_161622.jpg

Bridge off I like the way the wheels have corresponding  holes in the according to there position in the train.

20160521_162001.jpg

Wheels and barrel removed I can't remove any of the setting system except the lever its all spot welded together very strange. The balance is removed and that's all I can do on this side.

20160521_131604.jpg

First remove clip from the center plastic pinion to free day dial.

20160521_163342.jpg

plastic setting wheels nice.

20160521_163616.jpg

Date ring and center plate removed and that's about it all parts were pegwood cleaned then ultrasonically cleaned before reassembly. I had no idea what the oiling and greasing should be as I couldn't find any tech sheets so I've oiled as you would an ordinary auto movement.

20160522_002307.jpg

movement cleaned and oiled and back in it case running smoothly with a beat error of .1ms and loosng 3 secs a day face down and 8 face up amplitude I think is a little low tho at 230 but that may rise after a day or so running.

20160522_002507.jpg20160522_005432.jpg

Glass polished nice surprise that its a prism type.

20160522_074439.jpgIda

Dial and hands cleaned still a bit worn looking but I think it adds character. So that was an enjoyable service and clean I'll add a strap and put it in my collection.

Mick

• Like 2

Hi Cad,

Thanks for posting... I've seen these watches on the same site before but didn't pay much notice as I figured it wouldn't be worth the trouble....looks like I was wrong!

That upside down balance is out of this world. Is the hairspring pinned to the mainplate or is there another piece that it is fixed to?

A lot of things are very 'Seiko', the autowinding for one. The shock protection as well.

Interesting! I'll probably pick up some the next time I order from thewatchcollector.

Anil 

It's like an ordinary balance just upside down the hairspring beat error adjuster and hairspring adjuster are fixed to main plate and not removable tho. Very strange setup but easy to get back together in fact every thing was really simple to do it was a pleasure to service and not frustrsting in any way.

Mick