I Have A Cheap Geneva Pocketwatch

I introduced myself in the lounge yesterday.

I have a cheap Geneva pocket watch. autowind says it looks to be a cheaper swiss watch. WatchRepairGuy, do you have any video on how to put one back together?

I'm posting pics of the one I have.

post-195-0-76848000-1399901812_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-47710100-1399901836_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-16891200-1399901854_thumb.jpg

These can be quite difficult to reassemble for someone who's never done one before...including folks who routinely take apart and reassemble watches :unsure:.

Since this is basically a "Full Plate" design,  almost every part has to be fitted at the same time. Lining up all the pinions in the holes correctly takes a lot of time to get them seated right. It's actually more similar to reassembling a clock movement than a watch movement, as most watch movements have some sort of bridge or 3/4 plate design. This allows for assembly in stages an not all at once.

• Like 1

Hi DJW! :)

WOW! I gotcha! That is going to be a challenge for sure! I can see that it would be, that's how it came apart. Took the plate off and the gears were all laying there loose like a clock movement..

I'm waiting for a shipment of tools from EBay and I've decided to opt-in for a lighted loupe eyeglasses instead of the cumbersome visors.. at least for me.

Will let ya'll know how it turns out! Nothing like diving in with both hands! Quite a learning curve. It's one of those things, yes I am a novice at this, but I didn't just find a watch and take it apart to see what it looks like inside. I hesitated for 2 weeks to even attempt it cause it was a running watch keeping good time. I had recently bought it for $5 and knew it needed cleaning cause it was starting to loose time even after regulating the balance spring. It took me that 2 weeks just to figure how to get it out of the case! :P I had a buddy in my clock course forum tell me how to get the staff out of it so I could left the movement out. There's a small push spring on the side of the winding staff that I had push down in order to release it.

Thanks for your heads-up! ;)