Just refurbished Seiko 6139-7049

11 minutes ago, jdm said:

Nice, but should be a 7002 perhaps? The 6139 is a cronograph and did not had a -7049 case.

You are exactly right. The watch I refurbished is a 6309-7049. I am currently working on a 6139-6019. Too many numbers. Thank you for correcting me. 

• Like 1

Strange, I can't see the 6309 turtle shape in your watch

Seiko6309-7049NOSCASEDHONGKONG00-1.jpg

However sometime 6309 case were skilfully skimmed and reshaped, especially in the Far East. Or it's a 6309-729A with a swapped caseback.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Scottster said:

I just rebuilt another 6309-7049 for a guy and noticed that the case was chunkier than mine. I wondered what the difference was. This is a picture of his. It's noticeably  bigger. 

This one is strange too because of distorted shape on the left, as if a big dent was removed together with a lot of metal.

6309 divers were made in two generations. Some history, and pictures of a fake one

http://quartzimodo.com/the-controversial-seiko-6319-7040-diver/

Edited by jdm

On 5/20/2016 at 6:55 PM, jdm said:

Strange, I can't see the 6309 turtle shape in your watch

Seiko6309-7049NOSCASEDHONGKONG00-1.jpg

However sometime 6309 case were skilfully skimmed and reshaped, especially in the Far East. Or it's a 6309-729A with a swapped caseback.

Very nice example of a Seiko 6309-7049 Hong Kong Dial. Looks Great !

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.5.2016 at 11:23 PM, Scottster said:

Just refurbished this classic. Cleaned and serviced. All new gaskets and domed crystal. New Seiko bracelet. New bezel and insert. Runs great. 

image.jpeg

Very nice!! Is it original dial and hands ?

The dial is in great shape. The hands show their age a bit. The lume is completely dead. I thought about reluming them but I'm really not very good at it. I've only re-lumed a couple of dials and I wasn't very impressed with my work. I think I could do the hands ok.  

• 2 weeks later...
On May 21, 2016 at 4:52 AM, jdm said:

This one is strange too because of distorted shape on the left, as if a big dent was removed together with a lot of metal.

6309 divers were made in two generations. Some history, and pictures of a fake one

http://quartzimodo.com/the-controversial-seiko-6319-7040-diver/

Great article. Thanks.