New guy

Nello

My name is Nello

live in Charlotte, NC

love watches. Mostly mechanicals.

grail watches: 1680 red, 1675, 16710 Pepsi, speedy pro, anything jaeger Le Coultre 38mm and above.

auto mechanic by trade.

just bought some cheapy tools to do some hand swaps and crystal swaps. I know that cheap tools suck. I am poor right now. Haha

Thanks for the welcome guys.

i am on a mobile now and it is kinda hard to look-crown and crystal and hand replacements tips will be my search items tonight.

1. Tips for getting crown started on a cut stem?

2. If you did not have a cased movement to start with, how do you determine correct stem length?

that kind of stuff.

anyone have any good sections or thread titles/links to look at, I appreciate the help. I will be searching in a bit.

Hey Nello,

Welcome to the forum. If you're into mechanical watches, this is the place to learn! I started here with knowing only how to change a  battery in a quartz watch, and I've just finished my first chronograph valjoux 7750. In between? Well, a LOT of maimed watches, flying springs, screws, levers, hands. mainsprings. But also I've succesfully overhauled my ENTIRE collection of watches: 5 vintage Omega constellations, 3 Bulovas (a 333 Oceanograper, a 666 Oceanographer, and a Jet Stream), 1 Jules Jurgensen transistorized+balance wheel, 5 Sicura Jumphours (3 manual and 2 automatic winding), 4 Cordura watches (including 2 mechanical alarms), a Boctok Russian divers watch.....you get the idea.

I started out with crappy tools and very quickly learned that the minimum you need is a good pair of steel tweezers and brass tweezers, a movement holder (bergeon 4040) a set of screwdrivers (these don't have to be swiss, I've used French-made just fine, but they have to be precision--i.e for watches), and lastly, a 4x head band magnifier and a 10x loupe (bausch&lomb not chinese). This is what you'll need just to dissasmble, and I haven't gotten into tray storage for parts, rodico, peg wood, oils/oilers, crystal press, hand remover, cannon pinion tightener, one-dip cleaner or naptha for removing old oil, lighting, and a work mat to minimuze eye strain.

I love this hobby and its been very rewarding. These things are just to give you a heads up, not to dissuade you ok? There are many, many knowledgeable and friendly like-minded fellows here (no gals that I know of) that will help you along the way as you learn. If you lose a part or need help with suggestions on something your working on, you will also discover a wealth of information from the members, and maybe even someone has that part. Look around, have fun check out the overhaul videos done by mark and last but not least, post pictures!

Regards,

JC

• Like 1

Welcome Nello! As for your question about stems, you need to check Geo's walkthrough on that one. It is very complete and also includes screw on crowns for diving watches, which are treated slightly different.

Cheers,

Bob 

PS. Check Mark's video on the subject: