second hand problem

I'm going to assume you've never taken a watch apart before, so I'm going to tell you like it's your first time opening a watch case. Forgive me if you have more experience.

You're going to want to take the caseback off, either by screwing it off, or with a snapback case. Then, you're going to want to unscrew the 2 case screws, they are big screws that either have pieces of metal sticking out into the side of the case, or they "turn" into the case, and are sorta like half screws. Now some watches don't have this, so if you take a picture with the case back off we can help. Then you will remove the crown, first make sure the crown is all the way in (aka where you can wind it), then either push the round button, or undo the small screw right by the stem a little bit, until you feel that you can easily pull the crown and stem out.

Then, flip the watch over, taking care, because it is loose and will fall out. Now you have access to the dial and hands. Gently pick up the second hand with a pair of fine tweezers being careful not to scratch the dial. Then lift it, and place the tube on the underside of the second hand, on the tiny post at the very center of the hour and minute hands, and press down gently with either a piece of pegwood, with a flat end, or even the end of a flattened toothpick. You should then be able to put the watch back in the case, in reverse order, and be all set!

4 hours ago, mikekrauss said:

How do i get to the hands on a vintage seamaster deville.I need to try and fix this piece on my own if possible. 

Sorry, why it has to be on your own? It is a watch of some value, it also need to be serviced to preserve its accuracy and avoid irreparable wear. The best choice is to give it to a competente watchmaker.

Do you want to do this for the first time on an Omega? You'll likely have a learning curve and that means the possibility of misshaps. Do you want to risk it with this watch? If so then proceed and we'll help you out.

JC

I just dont have the money to spend on a watch.on the other hand i dont want to just leave it sitting there in a drawer forever.i have been doing alot if research and i pick up on stuff like this pretty fast.I watched a bunch of youtube vids today and figured out how to get the crown and. Stem out.found the 2screws and little brackets holding the movement in.i manages to get the second hand back on .got it back together and it is working.for now.i know u r right about servicing.maybe someday.thanks

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikekrauss said:

I just dont have the money to spend on a watch.on the other hand i dont want to just leave it sitting there in a drawer forever.i have been doing alot if research and i pick up on stuff like this pretty fast.I watched a bunch of youtube vids today and figured out how to get the crown and. Stem out.found the 2screws and little brackets holding the movement in.i manages to get the second hand back on .got it back together and it is working.for now.i know u r right about servicing.maybe someday.thanks

I am happy you dared to do that. And didn't do as many would have done? They open the watch and take the second hand out.  Remember to service it one day when it's starting to go bad. 

Thanks for all the help.this forum is awesome.i fear that the watch addiction may be setting in.I noticed on the inside of the back that there were a few areas that had some initials and letters etched on it.Is this a record of servicing or what.thanks again mike.

11 minutes ago, mikekrauss said:

Thanks for all the help.this forum is awesome.i fear that the watch addiction may be setting in.I noticed on the inside of the back that there were a few areas that had some initials and letters etched on it.Is this a record of servicing or what.thanks again mike.

Yes, but there is no standard, so at most you can work out the dates but not even always, as the number would be workbook entries. I suspect that in the past, when the world was smaller and people moved less, watchmakers knew which other had worked on a watch. Apparently, this information is now lost, although you can try researching on some specialized forum.

Yes, the hobby is addictive, welcome to it. Sorry if I was dubious before, but you have no idea of the extent of irreparable damage some people does to watches just because they think they know better. I did ithat also but it was on plastic Swatches. Put aside $300 for an humble but effective decent toolset including timegrapher, demagnetizer and glass/case press. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1