Can you use a staking set only to repair a balance staff?

So once you remove the roller jewel, you can use a staking set just fine. It's very hard to describe in text, but you will want to make sure the balance staff is going through the tightest hole it will fit, so the balance wheel doesn't bend. Then you punch it out. It's obviously not the best, and can cause the balance wheel to warp slightly, but it definitely works.

I've looked at the stakes and I cant see a roller removal tool. You can get one of these its not expensive and are very easy to use. Mark has the same set as you you could contact him and get his advice.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/roller-remover-bergeon-swiss

It says it removes friction fit staffs. What about rivet?

I'm not sure if it's a friction or rivet yet, but I am assuming it is friction since it is older.

The roller jewel has broken you are correct on that, it is also fitted the right way. Going back to a previous post this staff will be riveted. As it's an American watch you should be able to find the parts, you have the make and serial number so when trying to obtain the parts quote both. You could fit the roller jewel yourself if you have ones in stock, fitting is quite easy, but you need the right part and the right tools.

Its a good movement.

52 minutes ago, diamondslayer said:

It looks like the roller jewel is broken or upside down? Does double roller mean it has two jewels or is the roller plate upside down?

I don't want to spend much time on it if the jewel is broken. How do I find the movement on eBay?

The part with the impulse pin serves only one function-to deliver the impulse to the balance wheel. Similarly, the lower roller-called the safety roller-serves only to keep the pallet fork from moving when it shouldn't. There is only one jewel and it looks worn or broke and sticking up through roller, possible last repair jewel was longer? IMO you are better off having repaired (or repairing yourself), then try to find similar movement with good part. You might buy a watch that has same issue and pay top dollar for it. Even though it's a 19 jewel, (btw jeweled winding gear/ motor barrel is unique!) Very nice and worthy of your effort.

I swear I could make a living doing just roller jewels and balance staffs.

Hope that helps.

It may just be a reflection but it looks to me as though the impulse jewel is poking out the bottom of the table as much, if not further than the top. Could it be that the shellac has failed allowing the jewel to slip? In which case it would just need the roller table removing, the jewel correctly repositioning,and some fresh shellac to hold it in place.

It may just be a reflection but it looks to me as though the impulse jewel is poking out the bottom of the table as much, if not further than the top. Could it be that the shellac has failed allowing the jewel to slip? In which case it would just need the roller table removing, the jewel correctly repositioning,and some fresh shellac to hold it in place.

The jewel is sticking out the top and the bottom it is barely there. But the problem still persists of which tool to use for the balance staff. All I have is the 5285d Bergeron staking set and need to know which tool to add to it to properly remove the roller and plate. Old hippy suggested a tool, but the tool is for friction. Idk if I can still use it for riveted balances?