Ultrasonic cleaner

JoeJBP

Hi everyone,

Any opinions on these machines? I don't have a cleaner yet and a growing collection of old watches that need cleaning!

There are hundreds of these available online at a good price so I wondered if anyone had one or had used one in the past. 

Joe. 

image.png

It looks like a Chinese generic model although I can't be certain. Even if it is it does not mean it will be a poor performer. I use a similar looking model from

http://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co.uk/

and I am very pleased with it. Maybe if you are to use it every day for long periods, then you should look for a seriously industrial bit of kit, but for the times I use mine for clock and watch parts it has never let me down.

Hi Spandrel,

It will probably be used once a week at the most. I checked the link, which model do you have? There are some on there that are around my price range and I'm happier to go with a recommended one than one I don't know. 

Regards

Joe. 

Thanks. This looks like a much better place to get one than a certain auction site.

Is cavitech the function that alters the frequency so as not to cause dead spots in the cleaning area? How important do you think a heated cleaner is?

The "Cavitech" function refers to a special setting for degassing the cleaning fluid pror to cleaning and also the facility for setting the machine to half power for delicate items.

The heating function is desirable if you are using the machine for multiple short cleaning cycles throughout the day as it maintains whatever temperature you have set the machine to rather than allowing the fluid to go cold. I still pre-heat my fluids before pouring it in to the machine as the heating power of the tank alone is quite small.

Edited by Spandrel

That's interesting. So if I am just using it a couple of times a week I'm just as well to get a non heated one and fill it with warm water?

I haven't decided just yet but I think I may be making a purchase today! I will let you know which one I go for. 

I have this exact machine. It works well. It should come with a basket. You'll want to obtain some glass jars with chemically resistant lids for your cleaning solutions which you place in the basket with the tank filled up with a bath of plain water. I've been told that for this water bath you want to use regular tap water since the mineral content helps propagate the sound waves. 

Some people use the tank itself for a cleaning solution but you can only use a water based cleaner this way in the main tank. And it doesn't provide an easy method to implement rinsing solutions unless you buy one or two extra of these machines. 

Instead of jars you can use plastic bags containing the cleaning solution and parts then just float the bags on top of the filled tank. But you can be somewhat limited in what you choose to use as a cleaning solution in the plastic bags. Mineral spirit based commercial products should be fine but home brews can be problematic depending upon what you use for ingredients. 

Well, if it's good enough for NASA :biggrin:

Cheers for the info. I don't have any parts cleaning solution yet but I put a dirty metal strap and case in last night with some detergent and it worked well. I just put them straight in the basket. 

Which solution and rinse do you use?

Joe. 

I use elma 1:9 as cleaning solution and Elma Suprol as rinse, set it universal as it can be used in both ultrasonic and normal cleaning machines. Most of cleaning solutions are water based so you need rinse bath with something which repel water.

• Like 1