Hello from me and a Silvana Sea Star

Hello everyone.

I have a new obsession. Started with repacing the battery on my Christian Bernard quartz dress watch. Then, thinking that was fun, went for a capacitor replacement on my old Seiko Kinetic (5M43) which worked fine. Bought a few tools from Cousins, lurked on this forum, watched quite a few of Mark's videos and now I'm thinking this is a great obsession.

So I have a Silvana Sea Star from my father-in-law which works but has a broken seconds hand and a cracked glass. The watch has an ETA 2472 which looks very clean. I'd like to replace the broken seconds hand, have a clean of the outer case and replace the gasket. Ultimately I'd like to attempt a complete service - but feel the need to undergo a bit further practice and learning before I do that.

I'm struggling to find any information on the Silvana Sea Star and feel completely lost trying to select a seconds hand on the Cousins spare parts section; or the gasket & glass with no information. I'd like to replace the glass too but can't afford to buy an expensive press and I'm not aware of another method to remove and replace the glass.

Anyway, there's a picture of the Silvana attached. Any help or pointers to give me a head start or advice about taking some first steps.

Mark22

silvana_seastar.jpg

Greetings and Salutations!

For hands, info from this site might help some, it lists the hole sizes in the hands for the ETA 2472 movement.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&1ranfft&b&2uswk&ETA_2472

Then it's a matter of length and style, perhaps you can find a picture online that shows the original seconds hand.

A press need not be expensive, especially if that's an acrylic crystal. You will need something to measure with, such as a set of calipers, to get the dimensions of the existing crystal and gasket so you can order proper replacements.

Cheers, and good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.