Out of US customs lockup...

Aloha All , the post office finally delivered this Rolex Oyster Date Precision to me today . I was held up in customs since April 21 and I had to furnish paperwork to them showing what I paid for this item . After I gave the letter carrier $85 to cover duties , VAT , and another fee I finally got my watch . Yes , it has a repainted dial , but other than that , it's a beauty . I especially like the end pieces on the leather band . It's about 34 or 35mm which is about the smallest case size I will wear . 

All in All , I do like it .......

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 2.37.17 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 2.37.29 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 2.37.40 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 2.38.13 PM.png

Edited by Mark
changing title from all capitals (shouting).
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ricardopalamino said:

Opps , that should read , "It was held up in customs..." Freudian slip....hee hee...

Lol - I hope it was not too painful :D

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 09.25.48.png

Nice watch :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

VAT in the US?!? Perhaps a local Hawaii tax? I regularly import thousands USD worth of watches into Calif. and never paid a dime,

I wouldn't say that to Loud . I don't know what triggered this particular package,....first time . It had an EMS shipping slip , the value in US dollars , and the country of origin said Swiss .

Actually the form the postman had from Customs had 3 unidentified fees totaling $85.00 .

6 hours ago, ricardopalamino said:

Opps , that should read , "It was held up in customs..." Freudian slip....hee hee...

Mark said : " LOL -  I hope it was not too painful "

Not even a Thank You !!

Edited by ricardopalamino

Hello to everyone. This is my first post on the forum, so I hope I am not intruding.

I clicked on this topic, and to my amazement saw a picture of the OysterDate Precision; this is the same watch I have just had returned from the RSC. It was my partner's grandfathers watch and was in pieces. He left it to me when he did as he was aware that I waas into watches. I have had it in a drawer for these last 10 years in, as I said, pieces. I decided t take to an AD t see if it was genuine and worth repairing. It is, and it was. So, a good few £s later, I have a watch dated from last quarter of 1944 (model 6466) which will be passed on to my 2 year old grandson when I kick the bucket. The AD told me that it is one of the first datejust watches, although I don't know if he was being serious.

Truly a beautiful watch though, as is yours ricardopalamino.

Thank You ptw1953 . It is a nice looking watch  and seems a bit larger than the 34 or 35mm that it is .  I attribute that to the end pieces on the leather watchband . I took it to show a couple of watch guys at the business where I am doing some work. and both of them wanted to buy it from me on the spot or at least the right of first refusal .

How do I tell the date of this watch ? I am just starting to learn about Rolex .

Thanks , Louis

Hi Louis,

To date the watch, use this site: https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-serial-numbers

To get your serial number, you need to remove the strap from the lugs at the 12 o'clock side of the case. My serial number is 312***. The 6466, which is on the case at the 6 o'clock side, is the model number. 6466s were produced up to the 1980's. The movement is a 1210 caliber. Your watch is 34.5mm case size man's watch, mine is the smaller 29.9mm mid-size case, which was the standard watch size in 1944.. I have small wrists, so it fits me well.

Some more information:

Oyster Precision

Can be

Ladies'
Mid-Size
Men's (with 19 or 20 mm case)

General Characteristics:

The ones mentioned above share the same characteristics . They are all Oyster, with screw down back and screw down crown, Date or No Date (the ones without Date have the words Rolex Oyster Precision written on the dial , and the ones that come with Date, Rolex OysterDate Precision), with date at 3, water resistant up to 100 meters. The movement is mechanical with manual winding.

Case measurements can be:

Ladies' : 23 x 8.5
Mid-Size: 29.9 x 11
Men's : 34.5 x 10.3

I hope this is helpful to you...

Philip

1944RolexOysterDate.jpg

20160222_084323.jpg

20160222_090750.jpg

20160222_091000.jpg

20160222_091158.jpg

20160222_093138.jpg

Thank You Phillip , you are a plethora of information . You are correct on all counts . The info provided by the seller of my watch follows :  

AUTHENTIC ROLEX OYSTERDATE PRECISION REF.6694 MANUAL WINDING MENS WRIST WATCH

It just so happens that I also have the smaller cased  6466 which I recently purchased and discovered it to be a ladies or boy sized 29,9mm , too small for my wrist .  Fortunately I found a buyer for it .  Seller information follows :

Screen shot 2016-05-07 at 6.17.57 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-05-07 at 6.17.31 AM.png

BTW , your watch is a beauty .  The Rolex Service Center did excellent work , the watch looks new . Your partners Grandfather would be proud .

Edited by ricardopalamino

• 3 months later...
Aloha All , the post office finally delivered this Rolex Oyster Date Precision to me today . I was held up in customs since April 21 and I had to furnish paperwork to them showing what I paid for this item . After I gave the letter carrier $85 to cover duties , VAT , and another fee I finally got my watch . Yes , it has a repainted dial , but other than that , it's a beauty . I especially like the end pieces on the leather band . It's about 34 or 35mm which is about the smallest case size I will wear . 

Screen shot 2016-05-05 at 2.37.17 PM.png

It's a beauty. I like the skirt how it blends the case to the strap. Very hard to come by.

Congrats !!!

Ed

Yes , the end piece with the leather really sets off the watch . This Beauty was just too small for my wrist ,...I tried to talk my self into wearing it but couldn't . I showed it to a gentleman where I was doing some work and he took it home and showed it to his wife , who snatched it up . 

I have a vintage Tudor Oyster Prince that is midsize , but not too small for my wrist , that I am looking to get end pieces for . 

So far I have only seen them for Rolex and Tudor .

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2016 at 4:06 AM, ricardopalamino said:

impressive, worth the wait.

It looks flawless :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, MilTimeCan said:

impressive, worth the wait.

It looks flawless :biggrin: 

It was like new , a real beauty . 

BUT , it was just too small for my wrist . I tried wearing it once and even thought I didn't want to admit it ,..it was too small for me .  I sold it with no problem .  As a mater of fact there was a line waiting to get it . I had given a colleague the right of first refusal so he could take it home and show his wife to see if she wanted it .  He came back the next day with a fist full of dollars .

• Like 1