Seiko 7009

Well, not knowing how to let down tension on the mainspring before I disassembled the movement produced a bit of an explosion.

But, the good news is that I didn't lose any parts and I now hope that the mainspring isn't broken - since it wasn't before, and I know the correct way of letting it unwind. I also know it delivers power up to the pallet lever so I'm thinking there is a problem with the balance.

Anyway, I'll clean it and see what happens. 

Dave

I'll bet that was an exciting few seconds. I'm working on a 7019 right now, very similar to your 7009. The main differences are in the calendar side and a few extra jewels. I'm taking a break from it this evening because I have to make a mainspring winder. I have a nice one that I made for the Seiko 6xxx series, but the 7xxx barrel is a bit smaller so it won't work. They also wind in different directions relative to the barrel opening so I need to make an intermediate ring to press the spring into, then from there into the barrel.

If you haven't already, I suggest you watch Mark's recent video on servicing the 7s26. It's very informative as usual, and most of it will apply to the 7009. I think he's posting part 2 on Friday.

Steve

Yes, I saw Mark's video right after I had exciting few seconds. It's very good and it would have helped a lot; however, I should know by now that just because a watch doesn't work doesn't mean it's now wound.

Interesting that you make your own winders.

Dave