Omega 620 Complete Service - Omega De Ville

Omega 620 Complete Service

I'm servicing a nice vintage Omega DeVille for a friend at work, and I promised her I'd post a walkthough of the service online so she could see the progress.

It's an old 2 hand mechanical, which is rare to find in the DeVille range these days, and it has nice patina on the Dial.
Along with the service to the movement, it will need a new leather strap, as the original one has succumb to age.

Omega 620-1.jpg

I'm glad that the glass is in good condition, as replicating it would be an endeavour to say the least; and fitting a standard flat glass would take away from the elegance of this timepiece.

Omega 620-2.jpg

It's only fitted with a dust-proof snap back, so I was expecting to see the normal amounts of corrosion on the stem, and keyless work.

Omega 620-3.jpgOmega 620-4.jpgOmega 620-6.jpg

But I was pleasantly surprised to find virtually no corrosion on the stem or movement. 
So this watch has definitely been well looked after, and from the markings inside the Caseback it has also seen it's share of trips to the watchmaker for servicing in it's lifetime.

Omega 620-5.jpg

From my initial inspection the first issue I noted was a suspected broken Mainspring, as the Crown spun freely whilst in the winding position with no resistance felt against the Click.
Now the watch is open, and can see there is damage to the Crown Wheel and Ratchet Wheel, I am even more confident my first thoughts were correct; but I'll know for sure when I open the Barrel.

Omega 620-8.jpg

There are also a couple of fibres inside the case.  You can see one here resting on the incabloc setting of the Balance.
So a good clean and service, along with a new Mainspring, should see this little 620 movement running nicely for my work colleague.

Omega 620-7.jpg

I don't have time to strip the movement and remove the Barrel until the weekend. 
But in the meantime I will get pre-approval for the purchase of a new Mainspring from the owner, so once I've removed the Barrel and confirmed it's broken I can place the order.

Is the Mainspring truly broken?
Will the owner agree to spring for a new Mainspring?
Does Mark enjoy wearing 70's disco outfits at that Retro Nights more than he lets on?

All these questions and more will be answered in the next episode!!
So stay tuned .... same Watch Time, same Watch Channel!!

Edited by Lawson
  • Like 3

Flopin Flip Flop Watchman! 
You were right!  It WAS a broken Mainspring!

Omega 620-24.jpg

Yes Pallet Boy!  And this can be the work of only one man!

You mean the "Overwinder"?

Precisely, Boy Blunder!

Approval was given by the owner, and the part has been ordered through CousinsUK ... so it should arrive in Australia in around 10 days.

Edited by Lawson
  • Like 1

Before we remove the hands and dial from the movement, I wanted to clean the dirt that had built up around the edge of the dial.

Omega 620-10.jpg

This has to be done with great caution and a gentle hand. 
Firstly get a piece of pegwood and a very sharp knife.

Omega 620-11.jpg

With the knife, feather the end of the pegwood to create a fine bristled brush, and use that along with some Rodico to remove the dirt.

Omega 620-12.jpg

Remember!  Always err on the side of caution ... it's better to stop early, use the Rodico to clean away the loosened dirt, and check your progress; then to continue on for too long and damage the finish on the dial.  Also, avoid the temptation to use cleaning fluids on a dial with a finish this old, as it will quickly remove the old varnish and destroy the patina.  Slow, gentle, dry cleaning is the way to go.
As you can see below I didn't remove all the dirt stains, and ceased when I was convinced continuing would only risk marking the dial.  But the end result is still a much improved dial face with the patina in tacked.

Omega 620-13.jpg  

Disassembly

378_Omega 620 New.pdf

Firstly lift the hands, and then remove the Dial. 
The Dial is held on with two screws around the side of the Main Plate.

I was pleasantly surprised to find no corrosion whatsoever behind the Dial or on the face of the movement.
I then removed the Hour Wheel.

Omega 620-14.jpg

Once the Hour Wheel is removed, place the movement in a 4039 holder and removed the Balance.

Omega 620-18.jpg

Check there is no power held in the Mainspring, and then remove the Pallets. 
I like doing this first before removing the Canon Pinion to avoid any possibility of damaging the Pallets.

Omega 620-19.jpg

Now, turn the movement over and pull the Canon Pinion.

Omega 620-15.jpg

With the Canon Pinion now removed, turn it back over to begin striping the train.
Start by removing the Crown and Ratchet Wheels.

Omega 620-20.jpg

Remove the Barrel Bridge.

Omega 620-21.jpg

Unscrew the Click and remove the Click Spring.
Note the fibres in-between the spring.

Omega 620-22.jpg

As there is a suspected broken Mainspring in this movement I removed the Barrel it this stage, which can be done without any risk to the train.  It also helps to access the wheels to check end-shake before removing the Train Bridge.

Omega 620-23.jpg

Just as suspected the Mainspring is broken and will need to be replaced.

Omega 620-35.jpg

Next remove the Train Bridge.

Omega 620-23.jpg

Then remove the Wheels.

Omega 620-27.jpg

As seen pictured at the end of the Stem, there was a serious lack of lubrication.  Even the grease had completed dried out.

Omega 620-28.jpg

Turn the movement over and remove the Setting Lever Spring.

Omega 620-29.jpg

Followed by the Minute Wheel.

Omega 620-30.jpg

Again the evidence of died out lubrication is seen in the jewel under the Minute Wheel.

Omega 620-32.jpg

Next remove the Setting Wheel, Yoke and Yoke Spring.

Omega 620-31.jpg  

Unscrew the Setting Lever and pull the Crown, Stem, Winding Pinion and Clutch out.

Omega 620-33.jpg

The Omega 620 Movement is now complete disassembled and ready to be cleaned.

Omega 620-34.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this walkthrough, and it can serve to help.

Edited by Lawson
  • Like 2

Just a quick update on the progress of the 620 service.

As I am still waiting for the Mainspring to arrive from the UK I took the time to clean the Case and Caseback.
The condition of the Case was good, with just the typical dirt and grime between the Lugs and around the Pendant.

Omega 620-25.jpg

With a little gentle cleaning the finish on the Case came up rather nicely.
Omega 620-26.jpg

So now it's just a waiting game for the part to arrive and assembly to begin :)

• Like 1

The replacement mainspring arrived at last, so it's time to assemble the movement.

Omega 620-36.jpg

To install the new Mainspring, keep the coloured side of the keeper up and press gently into the Barrel with Brass Tweezers.  Then install the Arbor .

Omega 620-37.jpg

Then replace the Barrel Cover.

Omega 620-38.jpg

After discussing this movement with a master watchmaker and good friend, he recommended using Jizma Green to lubricate the Arbor.

Omega 620-39.jpg

Install the Barrel and Setting Lever Screw.

Omega 620-40.jpg

Then replace the Mainspring Bridge.

Omega 620-41.jpg

Install the Click Spring.

Omega 620-42.jpg

Then the Click.

Omega 620-43.jpg

Now install the Escape Wheel.

Omega 620-44.jpg

Next install the Fourth Wheel.

Omega 620-45.jpg

Then the Third Wheel.

Omega 620-46.jpg

Lastly the Center Wheel.

Omega 620-47.jpg

Carefully place the Train Bridge over the wheels, align the pivots and secure.
Be sure to always test the free running of the train before completely tightening down the bridge.

Omega 620-48.jpg

Now install the Ratchet Wheel.

Omega 620-49.jpg

And then the Crown Wheel and Crown Wheel Core.

Omega 620-50.jpg

Flip over the movement and place the Clutch Wheel and Winding Pinion.

Omega 620-51.jpg

Insert the Stem and then install the Setting Lever.

Omega 620-52.jpg

Replace the Yoke and Yoke Spring.

Omega 620-53.jpg

Press the Canon Pinion in place.

Omega 620-54.jpg

Now install the Minute Wheel and Setting Wheel.

Omega 620-55.jpg

Then replace the Setting Lever Spring and Hour Wheel and check it's function,
then remove the Hour Wheel to avoid it falling out as the movement is flipped.

Omega 620-56.jpg

Flip the movement over and install the Pallet and Pallet Cock.
Give the Crown a few winds and test the Pallet's action is free.

Omega 620-57.jpg

Then install the Balance, remove the incablocs, lubricate and re-install.

Omega 620-58.jpg

Turn the movement over again and after replacing the Hour Wheel secure the Dial.

Omega 620-59.jpg

Fit the Hands.

Omega 620-60.jpg

Place the movement in the Caseback.

Omega 620-61.jpg

Then snap the Top Case in place, and fully test the watch's functions.

Omega 620-62.jpg

Check and calibrate the movement on a Timegrapher, and the service is complete.

Omega 620-63.jpg

This has been an extremely satisfying movement to service, and I'm sure it will give
it's owner many years of pleasure to wear
:)

I also trust it helps others and gives them the confidence to tackle the service of this movement.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2016 at 10:06 AM, Lawson said:

Flopin Flip Flop Watchman! 
You were right!  It WAS a broken Mainspring!

Omega 620-24.jpg

Yes Pallet Boy!  And this can be the work of only one man!

You mean the "Overwinder"?

Precisely, Boy Blunder!

Approval was given by the owner, and the part has been ordered through CousinsUK ... so it should arrive in Australia in around 10 days.

Awesome! I love when the mainspring is broken...funny post Lawson!

JC

• Similar Content