I'm Off Up The Road To See Jill This Afternoon - Jack Won't Mind

Every year, on the first Sunday of the month - and then the first Sunday of each month until October - I drive up on to the South Downs near Clayton in Sussex. The object of my affection is called Jill. Here she is, in all her grace and beauty:

post-64-0-20505500-1399195053_thumb.jpg

Jill's in front and is a post mill built in 1821. Jack - behind her - is a tower mill from 1866. Jill is managed by the Jack and Jill Windmills Society, of which I'm a member, and each of those Sundays I work as a steward at Jill - showing people round and explaining the mechanism (it's a working mill). Each year it gets a little harder for my hips and knees to go and up and down the steps, but it's great fun and I really enjoy it.

All the mechanism, bar a few cast iron parts, is wooden. I'm sure you can see the affinity between a working windmill and a working mechanical watch!

Edited by WillFly

That's a cracking picture Will, did you take it?

It's great that these wonderful pieces of British history are preserved. I was in Lowestoft an couple of years ago and there is a lovely one nearby.

I didn't take that particular picture, but I have several of my own very like it -except  they're all printed so I couldn't add them here! I shall probably take my camera along this afternoon and snap some more.

Nice picture and the subjects are well worth saving.  Too many fine buildings and historically interesting artifacts have been pulled down, ripped up or bulldozed in the name of progress,  nice to see something being preserved.