The Worst Timegrapher Reading?

haratua

A de-magnetiser is an essential tool in your workshop. You should de-magnetise every watch after service and before regulating.

But I am not entirely sure magnetisation is the fault here. Check that the coils of the hairspring are not touching each other. 

To illustrate this I have made a quick video which shows readings for both faults and you will see what I mean.

I will upload it today and update you when it's available.

:)

The Etic 340.400 is a good demagnetiser and this is quite cheap. You can get cheap Chinese clones of this tester which I have and it works fine.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/demagnetizers/demagnetiser-etic-swiss

I also have an Elma Anti-Mag and this is an excellent tool but quite a bit more expensive.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/demagnetizers/demagnetiser-elma-antimag

I have done a demonstration in the video I am uploading so you can see how they both work.

• 1 month later...

Well that's disappointing.

You are best to focus around the escapement.

Check the hairspring carefully. are the coils touching at all? - it is in the index?

take the balance out - is the spring flat?

check the balance roller - is the ruby pin loose? is the roller loose on the balance staff?

Check the pallets - is the guard pin loose? Are the pallets secure on the pallet arbor?

Check the balance jewels - end shake and side shake.

Has the balance got timing screws on the rim? Are these touching?

Is the balance wheel true? Is the balance wheel touching the pallet cock in certain positions?

On the timing machine do you get this reading both dial up and dial down? and how about pendant down?, pendant up?

Check the hairspring point of attachment to the hairspring collet - is it loose? What about the hairspring stud screw - is it tight?

I hope I didn't miss anything out :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...