haratua

The Worst Timegrapher Reading?

Question

10 answers to this question

A de-magnetiser is an essential tool in your workshop. You should de-magnetise every watch after service and before regulating.

But I am not entirely sure magnetisation is the fault here. Check that the coils of the hairspring are not touching each other. 

To illustrate this I have made a quick video which shows readings for both faults and you will see what I mean.

I will upload it today and update you when it's available.

:)

Thanks. Looking forward to view the video.

Regardless of the issue to this watch I received, I've been wanting to get demagnetizer, so could you recommend one or two demagnetizers?

The Etic 340.400 is a good demagnetiser and this is quite cheap. You can get cheap Chinese clones of this tester which I have and it works fine.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/demagnetizers/demagnetiser-etic-swiss

I also have an Elma Anti-Mag and this is an excellent tool but quite a bit more expensive.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/demagnetizers/demagnetiser-elma-antimag

I have done a demonstration in the video I am uploading so you can see how they both work.

I have purchased a demagnetiser and it doesn't fix the issue.

Now, I am still trying to find the fault on the watch. Thankfully the watch owner is patience and let me have as much as time required to fix it :)

Well that's disappointing.

You are best to focus around the escapement.

Check the hairspring carefully. are the coils touching at all? - it is in the index?

take the balance out - is the spring flat?

check the balance roller - is the ruby pin loose? is the roller loose on the balance staff?

Check the pallets - is the guard pin loose? Are the pallets secure on the pallet arbor?

Check the balance jewels - end shake and side shake.

Has the balance got timing screws on the rim? Are these touching?

Is the balance wheel true? Is the balance wheel touching the pallet cock in certain positions?

On the timing machine do you get this reading both dial up and dial down? and how about pendant down?, pendant up?

Check the hairspring point of attachment to the hairspring collet - is it loose? What about the hairspring stud screw - is it tight?

I hope I didn't miss anything out :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Shirdel
      Hi
      I have recently gotten interested to learn and acquire knowledge about watches and there movements.
      I have a question for the initiated,if there is rust in the parts of the watch must the patts be replaced or can they be cleaned with a rust removal process or is that not advisable due to the parts being very fragile in nature.

Thanks again for youre time.
    • By Legarm
      is the Is price difference from the Timegrapher 1000, to the 1900 worth it?

Any input appreciated as will be purchasing one soon. Don' want to waste money that could then be spent on more movements ..... :)

• By MattHH
      Hello and greetings to all!,
      I have 2 "tools" perhaps. I don't see a spot for it on my staking tool. Let me back up as well. I have introduced myself on Watch Repair Talk. I said I am a fledgling watch repairer.However, I am more like still in the egg. I have fixed quite a few watches and destroyed even more. Its ok though, I get a box of watches and practice. One time I even got a great deal on a box of watches price wise and it contained 2 working Suunto watches and even a couple of watches that were solid gold. You have to admire and love young adults that sell granddads watches on eBay  for pocket money without a clue what they are selling. If people spend a few bucks to have it appraised it would knock their socks off at what the watch is really worth.
           Sorry I am babbling . If anyone kind enough that knows what these "Tools?" are I would be grateful and possible name my next child after you. The one thing you can not see from the picture is some or most of the hole are tapered.
      Thank-You
      Matt H. Clearwater, Florida

• By Padd
      Hello Everyone,
      Padd here from the UK.
      It all started with a desire to fix a Submariner replica I bought off a lucky lucky man in Pisa, Italy while on a European tour.
      Next thing I know I'm investigating Submariner replicas and building my own, signed by me, using a Seagull ST2130 movement, adventure watch.
      Now I'm hooked, I took inspiration from Marks videos, now I'm happily starting to work on parts of the movement, and have recovered one or two movements where the stem came out, but wouldn't stay back in. I have built a few watches for friends and relations, but now I need to be able to service them when they come back to me.
      I also have a couple of movements that run really badly, so I will be practising on those over the winter weekends. Full repair/servicing kit IS my Christmas present.
      I really want to get one of those ST2130's, serviced and tweaked by me, doing a -------------------------- on my timegrapher. not a -.'-.'''--,'.'.' (and worse) that they do at the moment.
      I wont start to list my watch collection, but it runs from a Casio digital to a Rolex pocket watch with Seikos, Citizens, Omegas and home builds in the mix.
      Must do Mark's course, but I'm afraid I may have already learned 60+% of it already.