haratua

The Worst Timegrapher Reading?

Question

10 answers to this question

A de-magnetiser is an essential tool in your workshop. You should de-magnetise every watch after service and before regulating.

But I am not entirely sure magnetisation is the fault here. Check that the coils of the hairspring are not touching each other. 

To illustrate this I have made a quick video which shows readings for both faults and you will see what I mean.

I will upload it today and update you when it's available.

:)

Thanks. Looking forward to view the video.

Regardless of the issue to this watch I received, I've been wanting to get demagnetizer, so could you recommend one or two demagnetizers?

The Etic 340.400 is a good demagnetiser and this is quite cheap. You can get cheap Chinese clones of this tester which I have and it works fine.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/demagnetizers/demagnetiser-etic-swiss

I also have an Elma Anti-Mag and this is an excellent tool but quite a bit more expensive.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/demagnetizers/demagnetiser-elma-antimag

I have done a demonstration in the video I am uploading so you can see how they both work.

I have purchased a demagnetiser and it doesn't fix the issue.

Now, I am still trying to find the fault on the watch. Thankfully the watch owner is patience and let me have as much as time required to fix it :)

Well that's disappointing.

You are best to focus around the escapement.

Check the hairspring carefully. are the coils touching at all? - it is in the index?

take the balance out - is the spring flat?

check the balance roller - is the ruby pin loose? is the roller loose on the balance staff?

Check the pallets - is the guard pin loose? Are the pallets secure on the pallet arbor?

Check the balance jewels - end shake and side shake.

Has the balance got timing screws on the rim? Are these touching?

Is the balance wheel true? Is the balance wheel touching the pallet cock in certain positions?

On the timing machine do you get this reading both dial up and dial down? and how about pendant down?, pendant up?

Check the hairspring point of attachment to the hairspring collet - is it loose? What about the hairspring stud screw - is it tight?

I hope I didn't miss anything out :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Graziano
      If two wrong things don't make it right try three
    • By toptime810
      Here is a beauty I have been working on
    • By deathkei
      Hello
      I measured my Omega Caliber 1120 through an timegrapher app. (Dial Up, full wind)
      I know the app is not very accurate.

I checked about +100s/d difference and sharply tilted graph .
      The odd thing is that the bottom part of the graph is not printed every 100+- seconds.(red-colored circle)
      Is this a feature of the timegrapher, or does it indicate abnormal state of movement component?

Thank you for the comments.
    • By Swissmade
      Hi,
      I am new to watch repair and have mainly been servicing simple eta movements for my own
      I have always wanted a chronograph watch and have found a watch based on a valjoux 7750 with a broken case.
      I want to put the movement into a new case but the dial is a day date and the movement is date only.
      I have sourced all the parts and have fitted them to the movement to add the day function.
      The donor watch didn't use a dial washer / foil, do I need to use one now I have added the day indicator?
      If I do need a foil, what size and where from?

Thanks very much

Stuart

• By FitOutPost
      Hi, my name is Ross. I am a rookie watch enthusiast and I am really puzzled here.
      Could someone explain to me what kind of a problem am I facing with my timegrapher?
      I do two sets of measurements with the same watch (1 day or 6 days apart) and receive vastly different results - to the point of being completely different from what I observe in real life. 
      For example, my timegrapher shows that my watch is running fast (or ahead of time), while in real life I observe that it runs 7 seconds per day behind. I even recorded a video about it so you could see it for yourself: https://youtu.be/mhGzf6aLMlY
      How should I interpret that? Am I doing anything wrong?

Problem_with_Timegrapher_-_Knowledge_Sharing__16.mp4