I agree with Vic, I attend a lot of watch fairs & most have guys with boxes of old watches & cases. Have a good measure up before going & take your vernier / ruler with you.  At the last fair I attended I picked up a Casio strap that was missing from a Casio I had repaired for £2.

See below details of this years. Web site: www. watchandclockfairs.com

DATES AND DETAILS

MIDLAND Clock and Watch Fair105 to 140 Stands
National Motorcycle Museum, Solihull, Nr. Birmingham. (M42 Exit 6 at A45 Junction; Near M1, M6, M5, and M40)
Short Taxi ride from Birmingham International Rail Station/Airport. Directions to here

Sundays: January 18, 2015 | March 15, 2015 | May 17, 2015 | July 12, 2015 | October 25, 2015 | January 17, 2016.

BRUNEL Clock and Watch Fair 100 Stands
Sports Hall, Brunel University, Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PN. (Off A4020, M40 Exit 1, M25 Exit 16 East; 7 miles north of Heathrow). Directions to here

Sundays: December 14, 2014 | April 12, 2015 | September 6, 2015 | December 13, 2015.

ADMISSION: 9am: £5; 11am - 1pm: £2.50; 1pm- 2.30pm: £1 (Under 18s FREE)

70% Unrestored; FREE VALUATIONS, ALL WELCOME, Trade Prices!

ENQUIRIES:Inglenook, Brokengate Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB9 4LA

DATES AND DETAILS

MIDLAND Clock and Watch Fair105 to 140 Stands
National Motorcycle Museum, Solihull, Nr. Birmingham. (M42 Exit 6 at A45 Junction; Near M1, M6, M5, and M40)
Short Taxi ride from Birmingham International Rail Station/Airport. Directions to here

Sundays: January 18, 2015 | March 15, 2015 | May 17, 2015 | July 12, 2015 | October 25, 2015 | January 17, 2016.

BRUNEL Clock and Watch Fair 100 Stands
Sports Hall, Brunel University, Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PN. (Off A4020, M40 Exit 1, M25 Exit 16 East; 7 miles north of Heathrow). Directions to here

Sundays: December 14, 2014 | April 12, 2015 | September 6, 2015 | December 13, 2015.

ADMISSION: 9am: £5; 11am - 1pm: £2.50; 1pm- 2.30pm: £1 (Under 18s FREE)

70% Unrestored; FREE VALUATIONS, ALL WELCOME, Trade Prices!

ENQUIRIES:Inglenook, Brokengate Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB9 4LA

Edited by clockboy

• 1 month later...

Are there any places that sell watch cases and faces? If so,could anyone point me in the direction of them please.

I've looked thru the Cousins web-site and catalogue but can't see any, unless I've missed them. searched the Web too, but can't seen to find anywhere.

Thanks [emoji1]

For cases try these chaps: http://www.german-watch-shop.com I believe they supply various micro brands with small run one offs as well. 

Cases & dials can be had here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SWISS-MADE-TIME?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Cant say how good/bad/indifferent they may be as I haven't used them yet.

• 11 months later...

I've purchased some new-old-stock cases from various sellers on fleabay. So far it has worked out well, I'm currently putting a vintage Mido case together with a new ETA 2836-2. I'll try to remember to post a picture when it's finished. Seller is  everstrong2011

Edited by dadistic

I keep looking on the bay but seldom see any. I've got a few movements that I have brought back to life but don't have a case and it seems a waste to see them spending the rest of their life in a little plastic box

What are the movements? If they are older swiss, it can be tricky. I did manage to find a case for my FHF(font) 76, from seller crabman46, but I think I just got lucky :-)

DSCF1198.JPG

DSCF1210.JPG

Edited by dadistic

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this E*** site whilst trawling for stuff.  Thought it may be useful to others.  They have some nice bits of quality parts etc for sale. Swiss based.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SWISS-MADE-TIME/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=28442601&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

Anybody want to try this out!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ETA-2824-2-CREATIVE-2-LAYER-Dial-34-3mm-WHITE-/131380565718?hash=item1e96e456d6

Edited by canthus

• 1 month later...

So, the movement has been is serviced and regulated; the dial cleaned up. But what about that case that's a little too 'vintage?' Often a dilemma for this miserly hobbyist. What are my options to get a case like this (below) to wearable condition? Creative ideas welcome, though high-end pro options are outside of my abilities and resources. 

20160607_105717.jpg

I'd be inclined to give it some tlc.

It's hard to tell from you pics if the case has lifted plating, or it is just dirty. My starting point would be to remove the movement and the crystal - that crystal would get replaced, it looks like a standard shape so not worth trying to polish it. Often I'll also remove the bezel to make it easier to clean. Then a good clean with soapy water and a toothbrush.

What next depends on what you find and what you want to achieve. A little metal polish, a light buff with a polishing mop mounted in a drill for stainless steel cases, possibly even brushing areas with a fine emery block if that was the original finish.

There are companies out there who will re-plate cases. I thinks replate-it in Canada has been mentioned here before. I've never used them so can't comment, but Google is your friend!

Just my 2p. This kind of restoration is a very emotive subject. You aren't trying to make it like new, but personally I don't like something too tatty on my wrist.

S

i've resigned myself to looking for a replacement case. they come along every blue moon.

i bought a beautiful black dialed tissot sea star seven from ebay. i got it and realized the case was toast. it came from india, so i should have been prepared. there's no saving this turd, so i'm gonna look for a replacement.

Edited by ramrod

i can see myself! that looks fantastic! i have a few that i've played with and buffed out. i've tried to be careful and not lose any sharp edges - on some of them. on others, i just went at it with no regard for factory correctness. it wasn't a good enough case to worry about.

• Like 1