My Cheap Hmt

dbals

Bought this on the bay for $8 USD with shipping. When I got it, it would run awhile and stop. Opened the back and literally removed two hairs and a small pebble. Been running about 15 sec a day slow. Gonna be the next candidate for cleaning and oil. post-174-13990378162045.jpg

Sent on the go with barley, water, yeast and hops

Actually, it ended up being two for $8 because the descript was that this watch was running well.  When I wrote to tell the guy that it stops a couple hours after winding he apologized and begged me not to give him negative feedback and shipped another one to me the same day!  

Now I just need to find some technical doc on the movement-  I think I read this movement is based off of a citizen movement.   

• 2 weeks later...

The last few weeks I have been reading and searching about HMT as I am interisted in a Janata myself. Can you please telll us is it worth getting as some people say it will go on for years, movement was by Citizen. I want to get one as an everyday working watch.

No way neither of the two I have would hold up for me for daily use.  I tend to be rough on watches- manage a research lab, which means I might have to be a plumber, electrician, machinist, histologist and/or general repairman everyday.  In fact, I have to look at the other HMT I have- suddenly I was gaining minutes each day and wondering if its magnetized as I was in a machine shop for several hours the day before.  Don't get me wrong I would probably wear them everyday if I wasn't so damn hard on watches.  I used the Citizen 201 movement document from Cousin's  website to take mine apart and they were identical.  Also,  both of my HMT Janata's (bought on ebay used) had their faces glued on with what looked like contact cement and let me tell you- what a mess.  Would I buy them again- yep!  I do like them-  Just keep in mind if your buying from ebay- take a good close look at the pictures.

My daily beater is a seiko 7s26 and have been really shocked I haven't destroyed it- whether I'm fixing  a lawn tractor, car or daily work.  It runs about 5-7+ sec fast each day and looks good.

Hope that helps-

Dan

• Like 1

Thanx Dan. I think I will try one. Cheap enough though. Same here, I do not wear a watch because I will destroy them in the first few hours when taking out some hidden car part designed for Germans with ridiculus small hands.

• 1 month later...

Yep, para shock is the Citizen shock protection they patented. Strong movement I believe. Nice catch Dan! I plan to work on the 8200 myself in the near future. I saw a page where the guy rebuild some divers that I just have to have one myself!

No, not HMT but Citizen brand watches, vintage. I was referring to the 8200 movement because the HMT also use a citizen movement or similar according to the post. I tried to add a link here but for some reason it is not working. Just do a google search "citizen 8200 restoration" you'll be able to find the page.

• 1 month later...

Just came across this thread today. I don't own an HMT, but I undoubtedly will at some point. I read somewhere the HMT 0231 movement is based on the Citizen 0201, which was also used by Caravelle/Bulova, and is the movement I'm using to practice on. If anyone still needs it, here's a link to a technical sheet:

http://watchmaking.us/files/3564_Citizen%200200,%200201,%200271,%200272.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hello Dan,

Nice looking watch and two for one can't be bad.

Good to hear from you, Just thought I would advise that here in geordieland a local Pub Chain Called Wetherspoons is running a "Craftwork" week and Devils Backbone IPA (5.2%) from Lexington Virginia, Lagunitas IPA (6.2%) from Pataluma California, Rogue Amber Ale (5.3%) from Oregon and Brooklyn Lager (5.2%) are on offer along with various Sixpoint cans - Sweet Action (5.2%), The Crisp (5.4%) and Bengali Tiger (6.5%) all from Brooklyn NY apparently.  I really enjoy steeping myself in other cultures hic burp :beerhat: .

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1