Russian Zarja w/ Poljot (Maktime) 3105

Well I sat down this evening with the sole purpose of simply cleaning and painting the hands. Once I had the movement out, I noticed some rust on a couple of screws and around the outside of the movement. Seeing that I decided to go through and clean the whole thing. Considering last week was my first (M9 Bulova 11BLC) and this is only my second disassembly, I can promise I am no expert nor will this be a descriptive walk through.  I did take lots of pics though that I thought I'd share. I will say this one is much more complicated than the 11BLC. The thing is built like a tank!

DSC03944.JPG

DSC03945.JPG

DSC03946.JPG

DSC03948.JPG

DSC03955.JPG

DSC03956.JPG

DSC03957.JPG

DSC03958.JPG

DSC03959.JPG

DSC03960.JPG

DSC03961.JPG

DSC03962.JPG

DSC03963.JPG

DSC03964.JPG

DSC03965.JPG

DSC03966.JPG

DSC03967.JPG

DSC03968.JPG

DSC03969.JPG

DSC03970.JPG

DSC03971.JPG

DSC03972.JPG

DSC03973.JPG

DSC03974.JPG

DSC03975.JPG

DSC03976.JPG

DSC03977.JPG

DSC03978.JPG

DSC03979.JPG

DSC03980.JPG

DSC03981.JPG

DSC03982.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03984.JPG

DSC03985.JPG

DSC03986.JPG

DSC03987.JPG

DSC03988.JPG

DSC03989.JPG

DSC03991.JPG

• Like 1

I hope you don't strip the engine every time you go to repair a paint chip on your car! :D

On a serious note, that is an interesting movement and I take my hat off to you tackling it so soon.  Thanks for posting the progress so far, and I look forward to your next instalment.

Great job and ...same size Ronsonol I use! Better too much than too little, never liked the small bottles anyway! :)

Let us know about your results and please, post the assembly part too!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Well I did get it back together last night although I am having an issue which I havent gotten a chance to look at yet. For some reason the crown and stem will not pull to set nor will it wind. Something is not engaging correctly. Would love to spend my day troubleshooting it but it seems my 80 gallon half round fish tank has sprung a leak.....UGGGGHHHH.

Well it looks like I've made my real first of mistakes. Busted the pinion and jewel for the escape wheel and not so sure I didn't damage the hairspring on this one. Any ideas on where I might find pieced out 3105 movement for parts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try etsy for old less than US$1 broken whole Russian watches. I don't know about the movement in itself but they have a bunch of those there. I haven't started on Russian watches yet although I see a whole lot of them on ebay too.

I hope you find the parts!

Cheers,

Bob

Still struggling to find parts. Is it possible that the escape wheel from the 3105 would be the same as in other movements or are they often different? Also does it take special tools to replace jewels?

On May 7, 2016 at 8:51 PM, mcass said:

Still struggling to find parts. Is it possible that the escape wheel from the 3105 would be the same as in other movements or are they often different? Also does it take special tools to replace jewels?

Not sure of the answer regarding swapping parts between movements but I can chime in by saying that it will require a jeweling tool in order to remove one of the plate jewels (those that are pressed in and held by friction).

I applaud your tenacity.  I've found myself deep in a hole a few times from inexperience- generally the best way out was to gain more experience, and there's only one way to do that.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Pretty excited! After months searching I'm finally going to be able to get this thing running again! I wasn't able to find the spare parts but I was actually able to find a movement that I'm getting a very very good price. So I'll throw that movement in and then keep the other one for parts.

• 2 weeks later...

No...I think they glue together. When I first bought it, a couple weeks after wearing it, the gold bezel (w/ crystal) had popped off. Someone told me it just glued together then. I used a common superglue which seemed to work ok but I didn't trust the seal. I later went to do some other work to the movement and took it back apart because it seemed the movement entered the case from the top rather than the bottom. I can't remember for sure as it has been several months. I'm ready to put it back together and while I think superglue would work fine I just wonder if there is a preferred method. This is the only case I've seen like this.

I wouldn't advise superglue as it off gasses over time and the gasses can cause to the dial.

I would try something like GS hypo crystal cement; not as rapid as the superglue option but much safer for dials.

Actually what I use is a mat that I picked up at a local magic shop. It's a close up mat used for spreading cards and such. They actually work really well for this because parts that may fall or drop don't bounce. No fibers come loose although it can collect fibers so I am sure to clean it before working.