Day Job

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts I wondered what people did for day jobs. I'm a draughtsman or that's what we were called when I worked on the board with pens , tracing paper and lots of math but now we are CAD operators which doesn't sound as grand but a lot less math computers are good at math. I find watch repair a great way to relax me after a day spent in front of a PC screen (oh and vodka)

Mick

Well, I've been retired for nearly 7 years, so the "day job" has become a mixture of grandchildren, music practice and web work - I maintain a number of web sites (mainly, but not totally, musical) for myself and for friends - plus long-standing research on my family history. But before all that, I worked as a chartered librarian in a variety of jobs ranging from programme research at the BBC to installing and managing library software systems and, the last 20 years or so, managing a university library (staffing, budgets, systems, resources, etc.).

But that was just the day job.

:D

The real job was playing music in pubs and clubs and theatres in the evenings - folk, jazz, funk, '50s rock'n roll, blues, and. latterly, more weddings and party functions in a ceilidh band. Plus making instructional and other music videos on YouTube, with a little guitar teaching on the side. All of this I still do.

It's a good life if you don't weaken!

[Did I mention watches...?]

Well, typical day starts with getting wife out of house off to work, followed by walking dogs, emptying trash, washing and drying clothes, working on mid century house, final restoration in sight, getting clean dishes out of dwasher, filling with dirties, maybe an hour or so surfing for watches, couple more hours of actually working on watches, time for afternoon walk, (didn't mention these Cairn terriers are full of energy), then back to some house putzing, paying bills, maybe a trip to hardware for more materials, bout time to start dinner, b 4 you know who gets home! After dinner and a few adult beverages, maybe some tube time, (not much quality here) so off to bed, then rinse and repeat. Before doing all this, I worked for an OEM auto mfg in the service engineering department as an analyst, figuring out software calibration parts for all auto computer controllers, (way too much computer time) and IT coordinator for computer services for ~250 users. 

I must admit after being laid off almost seven years ago, I thought I'd go crazy, but delving in to watches and repairs has kept me sane!?! That makes no sense at all!, why watches?, because not many people can do this type of work AND to keep myself busy. Too many times folks retire and do nothing, which I think contributes to shorter live expectancy.DSCF0057.JPG

Started in the family printing business in Central London 40 years ago eventually owning & running it. Unfortunately it began to own & run me more, so I sold it 8 years ago. Since then I have worked as a self employed Handyman, with a continuously full order book of varied work mostly on period properties.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:27 PM, Blacklab said:

Started in the family printing business in Central London 40 years ago eventually owning & running it. Unfortunately it began to own & run me more, so I sold it 8 years ago. Since then I have worked as a self employed Handyman, with a continuously full order book of varied work mostly on period properties.

Let me share a few of my reno's or renovations, like I said 1950's track house, slab floor, plenty of room for error, not the same standards as today. First pic of 'bay window, cold in winter, hot in summer. next pic blown out bay window, next one door moved to corner and window put in where door was. Last pic finished except for paint and siding. I have a great appreciation for you skills. If you have the time, you don't have the money and visa versa. I used to do typeset printing business cards and flexographic envelopes in a past life.... 

000_1461.JPG

0915151341-00.jpg

0916151805-00.jpg

0929151137-01.jpg

My Day & Evening job is as a Lecturer, 16 to 20 year olds in the day 16 t0 116 in the evenings, too many subject areas to cover but my website has all the courses I am running at the moment, but main subject areas are Photography & Film & TV.

I still work as a photographer in between lectures.

I'm a long distance truck driver & as such I'm rarely home, hence my limited activity on this great forum. I'm hoping within the next few yrs to be working nearer home & spending a lot more time with my favourite hobby.

Master Electrician by trade. Also hold a General Contractors license. Made my living this way for 25 years from Apprentice to owning my own contracting company for about 9 years. Shut it down towards the end of the recession and back to working as an estimator currently. When not working I also run a youth baseball league in the community and have been coaching baseball for 14 years now. Haven't quite figured out how to make a living doing that one unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...