Custom Watch Timing Stand

jdrichard

instead of a pin for the level, you could make the top part of the stand bigger around the axis point.  Drill small countersinks on the "in" side at the 12,3,6,9 positions and have a spring-loaded pin in the aluminum to interface with the countersink/detents.  This would provide a positive engagement at the 4 main positions without requiring any fiddling with pins to move into or out of the horizontal position.

• Like 1

instead of a pin for the level, you could make the top part of the stand bigger around the axis point.  Drill small countersinks on the "in" side at the 12,3,6,9 positions and have a spring-loaded pin in the aluminum to interface with the countersink/detents.  This would provide a positive engagement at the 4 main positions without requiring any fiddling with pins to move into or out of the horizontal position.

I think my only option at the moment is "rubber bands" to hold the movement in place. The other idea would be to devise a clamp that would blanket over the movement?

From Canada

From Canada

4 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I need you to sketch this out. I'm an engineer and need pictures, words just confuse me.

From Canada

something like this:

the "detent ring" would be on the stand and the lower part he doesn't adjust would be the AL holder.

A clamp only needs one moving part.and a fixed base - if you use the same shape the regular ones use, i.e. little "C" shapes that cup the sides.  You could use pins and get away with w fixed and one moving.  the movement could be adapted from the various movement holders.  Put the two fixed pins at 10 & 2 and have the moveable one at 6.  One immediate complication that springs to mind is making it band-compatible.

• Like 1

something like this:

the "detent ring" would be on the stand and the lower part he doesn't adjust would be the AL holder.

A clamp only needs one moving part.and a fixed base - if you use the same shape the regular ones use, i.e. little "C" shapes that cup the sides.  You could use pins and get away with w fixed and one moving.  the movement could be adapted from the various movement holders.  Put the two fixed pins at 10 & 2 and have the moveable one at 6.  One immediate complication that springs to mind is making it band-compatible.

Thanks. I will investigate tonight and get back.

i suck at drawing.  your stand device has two parts: the stand part and the movement/watch holder part.

on the movement holder, source a spring that fits in the hole you've already drilled in it and a ball bearing that's a tight fit.  jam the ball bearing over the spring and stake it into place.  the spring needs to be long/strong enough to push the ball bearing out at rest.  As you rotate the movement holder about its axis, the ball bearing now describes a circle on the stand. 

you now need something that is a dupe of the click ring in the video, the little brass disc he's holding.  you would have 4 divots if you want 90* turns; 8 if you want 45* like in the video.  You need the divots at the specific radius described by the ball bearing.

you could machine a separate disk and pin it (like a dial) into the stand piece.  or epoxy it.  or create a new stand altogether with the divots integrated.